Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red Rock Ride - 17th May 2017

3 posters

Go down

Red Rock Ride - 17th May 2017 Empty Red Rock Ride - 17th May 2017

Post by Graeme Beardwood Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:59 pm

Ride leader: Jules Pearce
Report: Rob vander Zee

We had fourteen riders meet up at McDonalds, Waurn Ponds by 9.30am. With every intention to enjoy a pleasant sojourn down some idyllic South Western District secondary roads. I believe I speak for everyone when I say that we had all come along that day to ride and witness the changing of the seasons and make the most of the last autumnal period for 2017.
However, the weather had other ideas. Wednesday mornings weather forecast had turned out to be a cool to cold day with show-ers with possible longer rain bands in the afternoon. Those clever dicks at the weather bureau decided to get it right for once be-cause it turned out they were spot on!
Before we left, Jules, as ride leader made some quick adjustments to the itinerary to make the day a bit shorter and no one ar-gued the point. In light rain, we set off through the Barrabool Hills, across the Colac Highway and then on to Birregurra for morn-ing tea. On the way there, the precipitation stayed light and a good pace was set. On arrival in Birregurra, coffee, cake etc. were consumed at the typical alarming rate.
From Birregurra, the plan was to ride in a wide arc, skirting to the south and east of Colac with the highlight being the sightseeing at Red Rock, part of the Kanawinka Geopark. We parked up the bikes in the puddles and peered out through the rain at Lake Corangamite and surrounds. (Did you know that this is the most recent active volcano in Victoria? Only extinct for 8,000 years. Bugger, we just missed it! Thanks for the info. Jules). On this part of the ride the showers had decided that they had had enough and they may as well just turn into steady rain. They were very successful at this task as we were basically riding through a mix of thirty percent surface water, thirty percent air born moisture and forty percent road spray containing plenty of mud, grit and cow manure. There may have been plenty of other scenery to gaze at but I’ll be the first to admit that I saw very little through the road spray riding behind Peter’s new CanAm. From the dizzying heights of the volcano it was back through the townships of Coragu-lac, Cororooke and Alvie, a left-hand turn onto the highway and before you could say ‘aquaplane’, we were in Colac. Lunch was consumed with gusto from the local bakery with pies being far and away the most popular food choice.
Suitable fed and watered we headed home via a dogleg south of Colac before turning to familiar roads to Deans Marsh and with the weather improving we travelled through Modewarre and finished up the day at Moriac and around 2.30pm. Thank you Jules for a very good day out and about and Graham for acting as TEC. It was great to see that a bit of inclement weather was never going to stop a bunch of old bikers from doing what they
Graeme Beardwood
Graeme Beardwood

Back to top Go down

Red Rock Ride - 17th May 2017 Empty Re: Red Rock Ride - 17th May 2017

Post by Admin Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:40 pm

Despite the weather it was a great ride.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules Pearce Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks Graeme. I'm glad we didn't persist in going all the way to Timboon, it would not have been enjoyable in those weather conditions.
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down