Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Otways Early Morning Ride - Sun 24 February

Go down

Otways Early Morning Ride - Sun 24 February Empty Otways Early Morning Ride - Sun 24 February

Post by Jules Pearce Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:36 am

Ride Report – Otways Ride Sun 24th February
Jules Pearce

In view of the National Rally starting the next day, and perhaps because of the 7.00am departure time, there was only a small group of seven riders assembled for Gentle’s run through the Otways and part of the GO Road.

Otways Early Morning Ride - Sun 24 February I-Rh96pWV-L

Above: Gentle sporting his best early morning helmet hair!

We headed out along the Cape Otway Road and had an ultra-quick stop at Deans Marsh so that Gentle could let the folk at the shop know that he would be bringing Ulyssesians in for coffee next week. 
Otways Early Morning Ride - Sun 24 February I-9v9sfPh-XL

In no time at all Gentle cracked the whip and we were on the road again, travelling towards Forrest via the scenic Murroon road.

As we dropped down into Forrest we were slowed to 40 kms for a large scale off road bicycle event even though it wasn’t even 9.00am by then. We cruised through Forrest and continued along the Apollo Bay road, then turned off to ride along Turton’s Track. There was a lot of leaf litter covering the road, unlike the clean conditions we had a few weeks ago on Peter B’s ride. We all got through without mishap – despite the best efforts of a 4WD barrelling through and hogging the road!

After a stop at Lavers Hill for coffee, we turned onto the Great Ocean Road. Gentle waved us to pass and so myself and Rob VanderZee headed off for an enjoyable run to Apollo Bay where we gathered again at the petrol station. Rob jinxed us commenting on what a traffic free run we’d had along the GOR – as the Skene’s Creek to Forrest Road had a considerable amount of slow vehicles dawdling along. I must add that the toilets at the servo at Apollo Bay are being demolished, however, people are still using them! Very gross. I had a photo, but decided not to post it.

In no time at all we pulled up at Moriac to complete the ride, well before midday! Gentle, thanks for leading a really enjoyable early morning ride in the cool morning air. It was great to be home by lunchtime and I’d done around 300kms for the morning. 

Otways Early Morning Ride - Sun 24 February I-ZgzrfkF-XL

Otways Early Morning Ride - Sun 24 February I-t7DVw4s-XL
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Back to top Go down