Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April

3 posters

Go down

Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April Empty Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April

Post by Jules Pearce Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:13 pm

Report by Dennis 'Biggles' Petersen. Photos: Graham Aitken,Peter Barclay & Jules Pearce.

Fifteen riders met at McDonalds Waurn Ponds for our mid-week ride plus a catch up on the way made for 16 riders and what a great ride we enjoyed.

Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April I-PbKNhPq-L

Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April I-B6LTRH6-L

Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April I-Kv5XHBg-XL

With Empty Bladder and Full Tank we headed off in the general direction of Beaufort to pick up Jimbo at Stony Creek Reservoir and not long after I was lost in the country side of our beautiful country side.  I noticed a variety of farm animals with noticeable large Pigs, Llamas and Hawks along the way amongst the many turning majestic Windmills around the hills.

Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April I-FKC86md-L

Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April I-hg7QPJ6-L

Through the day most riders were lost with even their own GPS’s not able to know where our adventure ride leader was taking us.  Wide sweeping corners .. short sharp bridge crossings and towns never seen or heard of before .. there were so many.  The post ride discussion indicated that the general consensus was that most had never been to the towns the way Mark had led us through.

It has been alleged we passed through these towns along the way to Beaufort for lunch - Mt Egerton Bungaree Dean Creswick Smeaton Ullina Clunes Coghills Creek Ercildone and thennnn Beaufort from the north !!

During lunch we heard the CFA sirens in town and when we returned to our chariots we found further west a near the Shell Service Station a B Double on fire and the traffic was chaos in the Main Street.

Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April I-35DknTg-L

Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April I-tGRzGsv-L

Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April I-kwVf8xB-L

After lunch we again headed off into the countryside through Carngham Snake Valley Linton Happy Valley Crossing and a short break at Cape Clear.  Then Rokewood Junction Dereel Gumley Road Shelford and a finish stop at Bannockburn.  

A lively discussion was conducted over the total distance but around 350 km for some but I had travelled 380 km for this magic ride in the great countryside around Geelong.  Mark you simply blew everyone away on this ride .. well done to our Trip Leader.  See you on the next ride Boys & Girls!!

Last edited by Jules Pearce on Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Back to top Go down

Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April Empty Re: Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April

Post by Mark Nicoll Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:28 pm

Thanks for the report Dennis - sums it all up very nicely!

One of my aims each ride is to get people a little lost if possible, so I guess mission accomplished!

Thanks for the photos Graham and Peter B. 
And thanks to all who attended for helping make it a great day out.
Mark Nicoll
Mark Nicoll

Back to top Go down

Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April Empty Midweek Ride to Beaufort

Post by Peter Townsend Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:33 pm

Up till last Wednesday we had 3 great Mid Week rides for 2019 - After last Wednesday we can now move that total to 4. Excellent ride Mark and like most people on the ride I spent a fair bit of time wondering where I was! Discovered many new roads in them thar hills!! Well done also to Peter B for keeping us all together.
                                                    Peter t.

Peter Townsend

Back to top Go down

Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April Empty Re: Mid-week ride to Beaufort, Wed 17th April

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down