Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth

3 posters

Go down

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth Empty The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth

Post by Ron Howell Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:24 pm

My congratulations go to Mark for one of the best rides for 2018, a great selection of roads, well done.
Ron Howell
Ron Howell

Back to top Go down

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth Empty Re: The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth

Post by Jules Pearce Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Many thanks to Mark for planning and leading this really enjoyable ride. Thanks also to Willie as TEC.

Here's Gentle's map of the route

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth I-7MhHSbq-M

We had a great turn out of riders and also some partners riding pillion. Here's a few pics from me (Jules).

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth I-XTZDWpH-L

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth I-82KWh39-L

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth I-7CTmVTG-L

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth I-6g6X8wq-XL

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth I-kzZPsJz-L

Below: Lunch at the Stagg Hotel, Learmonth

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth I-SqPnvFC-XL

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth I-L4XsMTC-XL

Below: Devil's Kitchen

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth I-KGVDkVJ-L

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth I-WhZwzVW-L
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Back to top Go down

The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth Empty Re: The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth

Post by Mark Nicoll Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:36 pm

Here is the Ride Report:

Learmonth Ride
Sun 21st Oct
Ride Leader & Report
Mark Nicoll

16 riders showed for the ride to Learmonth on Sunday, and great to also see 4 pillions along for the day.
The forecast was more cloudy and cooler than earlier predicted, but a fine day nonetheless.
The morning tea stop was in Buninyong, but to get there we went via
Ceres, Teesdale, (Meredith – nearly), Mt Mercer, then along little known Horsehill Rd Elaine, back to the Midland Hwy to Buninyong.
From Buninyong the group travelled via Scotchmans Lead to Smythesdale to top up everyone’s fuel, as the afternoon riding promised no fuel for a further 230km.
Then it was out through Snake Valley, Haddon, Cardigan Village before riding under the new War Memorial underpass under the Western Highway and riding the final 6km northern section of the Ballarat Avenue of Honour.
Some people don’t know of this section, which make the whole Avenue of Honour a whopping 25km long!
A short run around the North shore of Lake Learmonth saw us arriving at the Stag Hotel right on time.
Following some confusion of management because there were two group of 20 plus people they thought was just the one group of 20!
The other group was the Melbourne and VicWest members of the Veterans Motorcyclists. Some familiar faces from Ballarat amongst them.

After (a slow) lunch it was then off north-west to circumnavigate the small mountain range that is Ercildoune, back through Burrumbeet, under the Memorial underpass once again and down the Avenue to turn south at Cardigan Village.
Again, through Snake Valley to Linton, where we took some very, very small roads to a place called The Devils Kitchen.
This is an interesting geological area, displaying ancient lava cliffs that have formed into columns, like the Organ Pipes National Park near Keilor.
Most people had never been here before, and Jules takes the comment of the day… “I thought it was a kitchen where you get food…”
Winding our way out of the Woady Yaloak Valley, it was then through Cape Clear, Rokewood Junction, Dereel and Mount Mercer into Bannockburn for our final stop.

The group was very cohesive and flowed well all day – thanks to all who came along for the ride, and many thanks to Willie for TEC duties.
I’ve included the routes to and from Learmonth. Gentle nearly got it right.
It’s a good sign when I can get him lost!
Thanks for the photos Jules. I was so busy I forgot to take any myself!

Mark Nicoll

Waurn Ponds to Learmonth
The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth OeBWdoe

Learmonth - Devils Kitchen - Bannockburn
The October 18 ride to The Stag Hotel in Learmonth KMRRsfe
Mark Nicoll
Mark Nicoll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down