Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waurn Ponds to Port Campbell to Gellibrand to Moriac - 13/02/2019

Go down

Waurn Ponds to Port Campbell to Gellibrand to Moriac - 13/02/2019 Empty Waurn Ponds to Port Campbell to Gellibrand to Moriac - 13/02/2019

Post by Admin Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:21 pm

The following Ride Report was compiled by Philip Watters.
Ride Leader:   Graeme Beardwood
TEC:   Peter Barcaly
Note:  In an effort to save embarrassing any member, names (*) have been suppressed where appropriate.

Waurn Ponds to Port Campbell to Gellibrand to Moriac - 13/02/2019 I-ZB3RqfZ-XL

It was remarkably chilly for a mid February morning when around a dozen diehards, assembled at Waurn Ponds at 0830. A mere ten degrees and a continuing sou'westerly. We were briefed by Graeme, then headed off down the highway, onto the ramp and up to the Anglesea turnoff.  Shortly after it was the Mt Duneed Rd with that little squiggle under the railway to make sure we were paying attention.  We arrived at the Cape Otway junction and headed further southwest. Showers to the left and right, wet roads but no rain on us. Arrived Birregurra for an early morning tea, where a certain lady rider (*) caught up with us after being delayed by a truck incident on the Queens Park bridge. Better late than never, and knowing stops in advance is always an advantage.

Ever onwards, to 2km of the highway then left onto Trasks Rd and an ominous looking heavy shower in front of us. Some people neglected to put their rain pants on at Birregurra. We went left on the Colac to Forrest Rd (this corner would prove troublesome on the way home), then into the rain through Irrewillipe. The rain lasted about ten min or less, and things looked clear beyond it. From there, on to Simpson for a fuel stop. Only one took fuel while the flies annoyed the rest of us.  

From there via Princetown Rd and Cooriemungle Rd, which is quite twisty and again pointed us into then away from the next big shower. We skirted the edge of it. Smooth riding into Port Campbell, though a swarm/shower/cloud of cabbage white butterflies. 

Cool and windy in Port Campbell, most retired to the pub for lunch. 

Waurn Ponds to Port Campbell to Gellibrand to Moriac - 13/02/2019 I-Cn5NLqk-XL

Waurn Ponds to Port Campbell to Gellibrand to Moriac - 13/02/2019 I-9gR5r4Z-XL

An hour later we headed east on the GOR, into the 80kph zone and then the 40kph near the Loch Ard carparks, which were very full. The SW wind was still strong, but more behind us, and it was dry. I'm sure everyone enjoyed the tight turns going up the climb towards Lavers Hill. I always do. We had a short stop there to regroup. Sadly, one bike (*), parked on its sidestand and in neutral rolled forward and onto its left side. Windscreen and blinker damage. Bugger!
From there it was along the ridge then down the hill to Gellibrand. Not quite as dry as the uphills bends but still fun. A cuppa of whatever in Gellibrand then back up towards Colac. 

Waurn Ponds to Port Campbell to Gellibrand to Moriac - 13/02/2019 I-zRzJGWs-XL

Waurn Ponds to Port Campbell to Gellibrand to Moriac - 13/02/2019 I-PhT4M2S-XL

Waurn Ponds to Port Campbell to Gellibrand to Moriac - 13/02/2019 I-NntMpQB-XL
To avoid town we again took a right at Barongarook Rd and several corners later the riding order had been well shuffled. There's a wide sweeping right hand bend on the Colac to Forrest road where we had turned left in the morning. This time it was left again onto Trasks Rd. A certain corner marker (*) had gone around the corner and down a bit so was hard to see when approaching the big bend at speed. I made it but had to throw out the anchors. Those behind me didn't. I don't know how far towards Forrest they went, or how they got back to Moriac, which was the posted end of ride. I was the corner marker crossing the Deans Marsh Rd where I waited for 15 min before thinking "they've gone some other way".  I rode the last 18km to Moriac and found everyone but 5 out of 12 bikes.  We waited another 25 min or so before they finally arrived. One very irate TEC who I figure did some mustering somewhere and saw everyone safely home (thanks Peter).

All up it was 360km of interesting and varied riding on an interesting and varied day. The weather could have been a lot worse, only 10 min of serious rain. Thanks to Graeme for a great day's riding, ending with good humour. Incidentally, there's no fuel at Moriac store now.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down