Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020

2 posters

Go down

Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 Empty Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020

Post by Jules Pearce Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 pm

Ride Leader, ride report and photos by Peter Townsend

Sometimes when I’m on my way to the start of a Ulysses ride and the sun’s shining, the birds are singing and there’s a gentle breeze rustling the leaves on the trees, I get this euphoric feeling of being on “cloud nine” in anticipation of a great day’s ride! However today was different – on my way to the start it felt as though I was IN “cloud nine”! I was wet, the roads were wet, the inside and outside of my visor was wet, my glasses were wet – I needed to don wet weather gear and yet it wasn’t raining! (I checked the BOM rain radar before leaving and it showed nothing.) Basically we had 100% humidity – a cloud, that hadn’t yet perfected the art of flying had settled down over the Geelong region and there it stayed whilst it contemplated its next move.

Consequently I was suitably impressed that by our 9:30am start time a total of 17 Ulysseans had gathered to take part in the ride (who said we’re fair weather riders only!) We had 3 Spyders and 14 bikes- it was good to see a couple of new faces join us (pity I’m hopeless at remembering names!) Phil and Tanya (from Colac) also dropped in to say G’day (in their car) and were planning to join us at the pub for lunch after doing some stuff in Geelong. So, with Don on the big black Spyder volunteering for TEC duties, a ride briefing and a happy snap we were on our way. I guess the good news was that even though it was wet, it wasn’t cold and obviously there was very little wind.

Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 I-jcsSQL8-L

We made our way to Moriac via Ghazapore Rd, Mt Duneed Rd and Cape Otway Rd and then on to Deans Marsh. It was interesting that after turning on to the Winch-Deans Marsh Rd and gaining a bit of altitude as we wound up into the foothills of the Otways, we actually rode out of “Cloud Nine” and found dry roads (and high humidity) to play in. (As I confidently predicted, with amazing foresight, to someone at the start of the ride the weather was going to either get better or get worse!) So, at Deans Marsh we turned right and continued on into Forrest (our morning coffee stop) via Bushs Rd, Murroon Rd and Division Rd. The coffee stop was at the Brewery and it was good to see everyone appreciating the improved weather and riding conditions that we had now encountered.
Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 I-6c7Hqpm-L
Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 I-sJCqWZ2-L
Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 I-ZXLsGrW-L
After morning coffee, Josh on the Himalayan decided to call it quits and head homeward bound (probably planning to do a bit of bush bashing on his way home!) I, showing my usual level of optimism removed wet weather gear and the remaining 16 of us then headed out of Forrest and on up to Colac where we stopped for a refuelling break. This was appreciated by a very thirsty Triumph Rocket and –no surprise – the one HD that was in the group. We then headed west on the Princes Hwy through Colac – I’ve never enjoyed riding through Colac – it seems to go on and on and on and on, and it’s full of country people driving cars with hats on! However, eventually we found the Corangamite Lake Rd where we turned right and on to Cororooke and Coragulac. At Coragulac we turned left continuing on the Corangamite Lake Rd. From here this road becomes a very enjoyable 30 Klm long roller coaster ride through the gently undulating farm and lake studded countryside - it certainly puts a smile on my face! It was interesting to note that some of the smaller lakes we passed were completely dry and basically salt pans (a reminder that in spite of the strange weather we have been having it’s still very much summer!) But all too soon our roller coaster ride runs into the Ballarat-Colac road where we turned right and down into Beeac and to the pub.

Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 I-g33ZLtD-L

Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 I-xMGSBzm-L

Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 I-5bvcspS-L

Tanya and Phil were already at the pub to welcome us (damn, they must know a shortcut?!) and we soon settled in to a relaxing, convivial break to the day’s riding. Burgers seemed to be a fairly popular choice on the menu (some people seemed to have a burger piggy backed on top of another burger – to my mind that’s just showing off!)  The pub do a good job catering for a large group of people with obviously minimal staff, and have a fair variety of food to suit all tastes and budgets – guess that’s why we keep coming back!

Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 I-CJ24Gx3-L

Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 I-56QK9Rk-L

Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 I-nbnxXf4-L

Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 I-64LhCgH-L

Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 I-BpDCcGC-L

After lunch 6 of our group for various reasons headed home under their own steam and the remaining 10 of us headed out of Beeac on the Mingawalla Rd. This road runs into the Mount Hesse Rd and on into the Cressy Rd which takes you down into Winchelsea. Immediately after crossing the Barwon River at Winch we turned right into Barwon Terrace which eventually gets you back onto the Cape Otway Rd via Buckley South Rd. After leaving Winch we ran back into the remnants of “ cloud nine” with wet stuff forming on my visor and a noticeable drop in temperature. However, by the time we arrived at Moriac, our ride’s end, it had disappeared and we were back into warm, humid but dry conditions – assume the murk was just hanging around alongside the river!

Apparently, due to a comedy of errors, the corner marking system went a bit awry for the last couple of corners after leaving Winch, and at Moriac we had everyone accounted for except Don, our TEC. I was warming to the idea of being the 1st ride leader in some time to actually lose a TEC at the end of a ride, thus creating some sort of new record and infamy, when his big black Spyder hove into view. Bugger, I thought, there goes my only claim to fame!!  Don, in his usual cool, calm and relaxed manner shrugged the whole thing off and everyone parted company to head back home in the knowledge of having taken part in a ride well ridden. Thanks, Don, for patiently carrying out the TEC role and to everyone else for coming along and making the day an enjoyable and memorable one.

Peter T.

Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Back to top Go down

Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020 Empty Re: Mid week ride to Beeac Hotel 12 February 2020

Post by Mark Nicoll Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:23 am

It was a great day out with some good riding, especially around the Corangamite Lake Rd.
Thanks for the day and the report Peter.
I enjoyed it all!
Mark Nicoll
Mark Nicoll

Back to top Go down