Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mark's Mid week ride 16 October

3 posters

Go down

Mark's Mid week ride 16 October Empty Mark's Mid week ride 16 October

Post by Jules Pearce Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:27 pm

Ride Leader and Report: Mark Nicoll
Photos: Graham Aitken

Alas, sometimes the weather conspires to dash our plans.
And so it was, that as this day approached, some of the worst of our volatile Spring weather was forecast for just this day…

So, the morning of the ride, with my plan firmly in place, and a back-up plan not so firmly in place, 9 brave riders gathered at the start in Waurn Ponds and began discussing …… you guessed it – the weather!

At the start point it was overcast but dry. Radar on the weather apps on phones showed heavy rain and hit or miss conditions all around us.
Mark's Mid week ride 16 October I-FzcwMpN-L

Mark's Mid week ride 16 October I-mvMPHkc-L

So, a command decision was made to head to the morning tea stop at Ballan and re-assess the plans, depending on conditions. Unbeknown to me, we lost John T at the start, as he stayed to fix his indicator lens that he discovered had fallen off.

Off we went, out through Highton, Ceres, Lethbridge and across the mighty Moorabool to ride out through Maude and She Oaks to Meredith.

Here we took a turn and headed along the very scenic Slate Quarry Rd, then the Geelong-Ballan Rd to the morning stop.
Unbelievable … wet roads in places but no rain yet. Skies were very threatening, and some random spots, but no rain. And John had joined us having fixed his light.

So coffees and snacks were procured, and we sat around and eventually discussed where to from here. Radar still showed very heavy rain and thunderstorms in our destination region of Gisborne/Macedon/Riddells Creek areas, with the afternoon forecast very ominous, so a consensus was reached to head home from here.
Mark's Mid week ride 16 October I-CbVSrGv-L

Mark's Mid week ride 16 October I-Z73KdLg-L

I created a route using some of the planned route, which saw us head out of Ballan along Ingliston Rd and Ironbark Rd, which is the “back way” into Bacchus Marsh.

I have to say that some of the views from Ironbark Rd, to the North overlooking Werribee Gorge, Lerderderg Valley, and Bacchus Marsh generally are stunning!

And to the South, views of the Brisbane Ranges and even to the You Yangs.

Up until a couple of months ago, several kilometres of Ironbark Rd were still gravel, so it now offers a great alternative between Bacchus Marsh and Ballan.
From here along the familiar Balliang Rd, joining up again with the Geelong-Bacchus Marsh Rd to then turn West to complete the full length of Granite Rd.
More beautiful scenery!

Then a short run into Anakie, where we all pulled in for a bit of a chat to finish.
And guess what … still no rain!

Counting our blessings to have stayed dry, everyone headed home before rain did come.
Phil R had a few minutes trying to work out why the Spyder wouldn’t start, until he checked the kill switch!

Not a bad alternative ride from the original full day plan, and feedback from the courageous nine was all positive. Thanks to Graham A for the photos.

Thanks everybody for coming along!
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Back to top Go down

Mark's Mid week ride 16 October Empty Re: Mark's Mid week ride 16 October

Post by Ron Howell Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:14 pm

It just goes to show you, that crap can "possibly" happen to even the best of us,  lol.
At least you tried the ride for a while. Laughing
Ron Howell
Ron Howell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Nicoll Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:34 pm

This one is a bit late - it is from Oct 16th 2019.
Thanks for your comment Ron.
But I think you may attract it more than the rest of us...  Wink   lol!
Mark Nicoll
Mark Nicoll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down