Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lismore Ride, Sunday 19th September 2021

Go down

Lismore Ride, Sunday 19th September 2021 Empty Lismore Ride, Sunday 19th September 2021

Post by Jules Pearce Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:02 pm

Report by Ron (Gentle) Howell

Pics by Peter (The Lens) Barclay

This was our first since mid-August, and under the threat of another lockdown, there were 13 of us gathered at Corio to brave the weather and to make the most of our time together on the bikes.  It was good to have Stan (our Editor) join us from Colac.

Lismore Ride, Sunday 19th September 2021 I-NmdQkcK-L

Lismore Ride, Sunday 19th September 2021 I-9SBzVFc-L

We departed Corio and travelled along the Ring Rd to Hamilton Hwy then into Inverleigh then out onto the open paddocks and gusty winds towards Winchelsea. From Winch it was further south onto the Cape Otway Rd to Birregurra where we lost one of our riders due to ongoing leakage from “his body’s sump”.  Hopefully he got home with no embarrassing “outcomes”.
From Birregurra it was straight into East Colac to the IGA for a coffee and chat.  

Lismore Ride, Sunday 19th September 2021 I-MCZh8BW-L

After smoko we rode around the city centre of Colac and headed west until we turned north towards Alvie where we started to enjoy the great sweepers and roads in this area, we travelled towards Beeac but turned north and back onto the smaller roads across to the Foxhow Rd, and then into Lismore.

Lismore Ride, Sunday 19th September 2021 I-sSGwXMD-L

Lismore Ride, Sunday 19th September 2021 I-KTJrhpR-L

Lismore Ride, Sunday 19th September 2021 I-2nvDnz3-L

Some of us had lunch at the Pub others enjoyed the hospitality of the “Blue Yabbie” Café.  After lunch we headed homewards when my true ride leader skills started to emerge, after one wrong turn resulting in a U turn, then I missed another turn and had the crew riding along about a kilometre of dirt track (yes Pete & Mark) we got back to the planned route.

Lismore Ride, Sunday 19th September 2021 I-PxZfFcM-L

Lismore Ride, Sunday 19th September 2021 I-f9L6tsD-L

We travelled a narrow asphalt road back to the Hamilton Hwy, then easterly to the road that goes to Skipton, then along the twisties to finish the ride at Inverleigh.

Overall, the weather stayed dry but it was very windy, the roads were varied but mainly straight in open farmlands, but the company was enjoyable and it was great to get out for a pleasant 260 kms plus ride.  My thanks to Rob Hunt for being T.E.C.  And yes, it was announced at lunch time that Geelong is back into Lockdown as from midnight tonight, so we don’t know when we will be back together for another ride.

Cheers,
Gentle.
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Graeme Beardwood likes this post

Back to top Go down