Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mid Week Ride to Maryborough, Wed 14th June 2023

Go down

Mid Week Ride to Maryborough, Wed 14th June 2023 Empty Mid Week Ride to Maryborough, Wed 14th June 2023

Post by Jules Pearce Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:53 pm

RIDE REPORT: MID-WEEK RIDE WEDNESDAY 14 JUNE 2023

RIDE LEADER and REPORT: DON WILKINSON
TEC: GREG BURGESS

On a cold and misty morning, 11 trusty souls gathered for our monthly mid-week ride to Maryborough. 

Mid Week Ride to Maryborough, Wed 14th June 2023 I-PnFTBLV-L

10 riders commenced the ride which headed up through Highton to the Ring Road, for a short run to the next exit being the Hamilton Highway exit. Two hundred meters later, we turned left onto the road to Bannockburn
Headed up past the United servo, over the rail line and turned right into Bakers Bridge Road; not much traffic about and the occasional bit of drizzle to keep us on our toes.

At the bridge crossing there was  a fair lump of a gap/bump that caused us to slow down. Up the hill around the tight left hander and left turn onto the Steiglitz Road, 12.6km later it was again a left turn onto Perdrisat Rd and down the steep valley and across to the Midland Highway near Lethbridge and turned left heading to Meredith.
At Meredith we headed north turning right onto the Ballan-Meredith Road, down through the valley again, through Morrisons for 15 km through the tree plantations and the wind farm areas and turned left onto the Egerton-Ballark Road.
Down through the valley again, after going past more wind turbines, with a bit of ordinary road again (typical Vic country roads) and up to Mt Egerton, where the temperature took a bit of a plunge to 11 degrees and then on to QA Gordon where we stopped for smoko.
90 km to Gordon.

Unfortunately, 3 riders left the group here due to other commitments (but it was getting colder and drizzly).
Leaving Gordon, we headed north across the freeway then turned into Moorabool W Road continuing on to Corbetts Road where we turned left and this becomes Springbank Rd. 11.5 km later we turned left into Bungaree-Creswick Rd, up to the roundabout taking the third exit and headed up to Newlyn, took first exit at roundabout and headed west turning right onto the Kingston Rd., where the weather started to improve slightly with seemingly the last of the drizzle behind us. Keeping north turned right onto the Creswick-Newstead Rd and proceeded to Campbelltown where we hung a lefty onto the Campbelltown-Carisbrook Rd, 11.7km turned left into Rodborough Rd, then right onto Cotswold Rd and headed to the Pyrenees Hwy at Moolort, where we turned left and headed to Carisbrook. By now any rain was well behind us although still pretty cool.
Through Carisbrook and on to Maryborough where we stopped at the railway station. Our TEC Greg Burgess remarked he thought I was lost at one stage as he was travelling over roads he never knew existed; I was pretty happy with that as is is good to introduce some new country to the riders.
89km Gordon to Maryborough.

Mid Week Ride to Maryborough, Wed 14th June 2023 I-v5mpNqR-L

I had arranged, a few days earlier, to meet John Harkin and members from the Grampians Ulysses Club, where we had a great catch up and had lunch at The Station Cafe, with the 6 from Grampians branch.
Was a good catch up with them and if heading up Maryborough way, please give John a call as he may be having a ride up there also.

Mid Week Ride to Maryborough, Wed 14th June 2023 I-JwdXZ9Z-L

Mid Week Ride to Maryborough, Wed 14th June 2023 I-Pm8bJTF-XL

Leaving Maryborough at 1:45 pm, fueled up and headed towards home.
We headed via Talbot, to Clunes and across to Creswick where we headed out on the Creswick-Bungaree Rd for some km then took a left heading across to Dean. This is quite a good piece of road, with not too bad a surface, with a few hills and bends making for some interesting riding.
Turned right at Dean and headed down to Clarkes Hill Rd and making or way eventually to the Western freeway for a short run to Gordon where we exited and headed on the road back to Mt Egerton.
Here we turned left onto the Egerton-Ballan Rd which is a good ride across to the Ballan Road, where we turned right and headed back to Anakie where we ended the ride.
Maryborough to Anakie around 170km (apologies, forgot to check at the end).

All in all a good ride, with thanks to the intrepid riders who braved the ordinary initial weather conditions and my thanks to Greg Burgess for undertaking the TEC duties.

Don Wilkinson
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Back to top Go down