Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September

2 posters

Go down

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September Empty Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September

Post by Jules Pearce Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:38 pm

Report: Greg 'Dodgy' Burgess

Pics: Peter Barclay 

With a weather forecast of afternoon rain, hail, and thunder, with the odd lightning bolt thrown by Zeus, a top temp of 13c and a 9am start, nine intrepid stalwarts appeared all dressed for the weather and looking like the Michelin Man. However, the sky was blue, few clouds and the sun was shining. If it was not for the single figure temp (approx. 7c) the Macca`s car park would have become a male strip tease, much to the delight of our single female rider. It was unanimous that the low ride numbers was a result of the weather forecast, early start, and people forgetting to check the updated ride calendar. Too bad, the weather was looking rather good?

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September I-hKXKhx2-L

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September I-vMGJ5bL-L

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September I-MHjvX2M-L
After the usual “gday mate” and “ how are you going today ya silly old sod, etc” and all the other endearments we all bestow upon each other, our totalitarian ride leader Mr Mark (the off roader) Nicoll herded the mob together and began the brief. With words like, long stretch, one fuel stop, out this way, pay attention, be safe and keep up. Then the dreaded, “oh, by the way there is about 2kms of dirt road”, Mark then tried to quieten the moans and groans from us touring bike riders by telling all that the promised lunch specials at the pub were as big or bigger than the plate the meal was served on. Chicken Parma, schnitzel, roast pork, pizza, vegetarian (Jimbo again) all $15 bucks. I made the mistake of asking about a hamburger, to be promptly jumped on by Mark and Gentle who said something along the lines of “you and your b****y hamburgers, just for that you can do the ride report”! I guess I walked right into that one.

With Marlene telling us that her Suzuki would only make around 160kms and the fuel stop at 206kms we all assured her that we had a syphon hose and fuel if she ran out.  With the brief concluded we all geared up and headed off, with all secretly hoping Marlene would run out of go juice so we could be mean and laugh at someone else. Our first stop at Birregurra for Morning tea by way of the Deans Marsh circuit was a cool and clean run, meaning for a change, the roads were clear of debris, dry, little traffic, and the sun was out,  thankfully. Here we were joined by Phil on his new (well to him anyway) Can Am Spyder with his grandson Cooper as pillion. With the thought of the massive lunch promised no one was prepared to indulge in the usual pie or sausage roll with their first coffee of the day.

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September I-w9htwzg-L

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September I-cPn5X2b-L

With tummies warmed up, sort of, we headed off toward Colac, sort of, then threw a leftie onto old Yeo Road, proceeding along very enjoyable twisty roads through rolling green fields and pasture land over the ridge, and down into the forest leading to Carlisle River where the necessary pit stop was initiated for those of us older types. Back on the bikes through the Otway Bush Park then up and along the ridge line with the bush on the left and open farmland down to the right into the valley. Almost makes one want to stop for a happy snap, almost. Continuing along the ridge to Simpson and onto Colac Road, then left past the Simpson Raceway and onto the flatlands which did become a little windy. Very soon we arrived at the MAMRE HOTEL. “Yippee”

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September I-f6XPgbK-L

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September I-t5QVPkj-L

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September I-jXFHhXf-L

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September I-wKPV3XN-L

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September I-F3Zjr3P-L

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September I-QQZhqFH-L
Orders placed, we awaited the promised meals, and with Mark’s life on the line, anticipation was the key word. The meals arrived relatively quickly and “WOW”, life no longer under threat, the meals were “b****y enormous”. I did not see a clean plate as most of us admitted defeat and left almost half on our plate. After lots of tyre kicking conversation and with full tummies we decided to depart the hospitality of the MAMRE PUB.  

Click on the link below for a bit of footage of Phil and a couple of others arriving.

Spyder video

Setting off along the Princess Highway toward Colac with the clouds rolling in, with the wind still blowing cool, I do not think anyone noticed the coming weather change; we were all too full.  Arriving at the designated fuel stop app. 206kms just outside of Colac, I went over to check Marlene”s fuel level in her Suzuki.  All good, with fuel left in the tank.  Marlene, quote “I meant I could do 260kms not 160kms” What a disappointment that was to all of us guys. Leaving the fuel stop we threw another leftie and headed around the back of the Colac lake area, where Mark led us to “Red Rocks Lookout”. A quick ride up to the rim of an old dead volcano. Fabulous 6400mil views (360deg) for the uninitiated, actually quite spectacular, but he did not stop for a “happy snap” poor form. This is well worth a visit on future rides. Following the lakes road, twisty and not all too bumpy we arrived at Winchelsea, our ride end. Parking at the “Hooty Owl” or something close to that, (the WACOS) or (Wednesday And Coffee Only Socialites will understand). We all had a chat, thanked Mark for his ride planning, food supply, and tourism planning.  Well done mate and thanks to “Gentle” for tec.

Just before I completed this report, my phone suffered a catastrophic loss of information, so I trust this will all make sense.
Greg Burgess aka “Dodgy”

Q.  Why do they build service roads?
A.  So Suzuki riders can push their bikes home safely.

Q.  Why does Suzuki fit ABS?
A.  So the rider can stop quickly to pick up bits that fall off.

Q.  How do you make a Suzuki go faster downhill?
A.  Turn the engine off.

Now I know I am going to suffer.
I really like this club, (if I live)

Greg “Dodgy” Burgess

Last edited by Jules Pearce on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Back to top Go down

Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September Empty Re: Ride to Pirron Yallock pub Sun 22nd September

Post by Mark Nicoll Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks for the report Greg - a very enjoyable read!
Had a few chuckles, as I wondered whether you were on the same ride...  Laughing
You were very polite about the lunch at the pub. 
The meals were a tad slow... but satisfying nontheless.
15 riders was a great turnout for a cool day, and a great day was had by all.
With such a good report - we'll have to get you to do more from now on!
Mark Nicoll
Mark Nicoll

Back to top Go down