Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Otway's Ride 24th Jan .2021

2 posters

Go down

Otway's Ride   24th Jan .2021 Empty Otway's Ride 24th Jan .2021

Post by Ron Howell Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:41 pm

Report: Ron Howell
Pics: Peter Barclay

I will let you all know a little secret, this was the best Sunday Ride so far of 2021.

We started out from Waurn Ponds after welcoming a prospective member along to join us, Rob has a very “pretty” Harley Sportster Four Eighty, but it has a little problem which I will explain about in a minute. 

Otway's Ride   24th Jan .2021 I-Q47GTh3-L

We had a leisurely run along Cape Otway Rd, then over to the back of Colac and onto the Gellibrand Rd, at Gellibrand we stopped to allow our guest Rob to get some fuel as he would not make it to Lorne with a SEVEN Litre tank, but to make things interesting the Gellibrand store had no fuel, so onwards we travel up to Ferguson for smoko. Some will be happy to know that I lived up to expectations and we found approx. 3 kms of dirt road (due to road re surfacing) lol.

Otway's Ride   24th Jan .2021 I-D8pnQZw-L

At Ferguson I syphoned fuel out of my bike and into Rob’s “peanut” sized tank so that he could continue with the ride. The Ferguson Café is worth a stop and look inside for anyone travelling in the area, certainly a nice place and I will be using it more often on my rides. Whilst having a drink it was suggested that we have lunch at Apollo Bay instead of Lorne, due to it being a long weekend and high tourist numbers, this was happily agreed upon by the riders and of we travelled towards Turton’s Track.

All I can say about Turton’s Track is “Brilliant”, it was as if a Street Sweeper had just gone along in front of us, the surface was in perfect condition and we only had 4 or 5 groups of cars coming at us from the opposite direction for the whole length.

We arrived at Apollo Bay at around 11:30 for an early lunch with plenty of tourists but not packed. 

Otway's Ride   24th Jan .2021 I-VcksqP7-L

Otway's Ride   24th Jan .2021 I-ZLrqSTc-L

Otway's Ride   24th Jan .2021 I-dRkkqmS-L

After lunch, a couple of members decided to ride straight home and the rest of us topped up the tanks and had an enjoyable run into Lorne along the Great Ocean Rd. It is certainly more enjoyable riding against the traffic along this stretch of road, when we got to Lorne, we realised what a good decision it was to have lunch earlier as Lorne was packed with vehicles and people, we allowed Rob to top up the tanks again, we had another 2 members deciding to continue along the GOR whilst we went back up into the hills and we finished at Moriac.

All up it was a very enjoyable 300 kms, the weather was very kind to us as most of the ride was in the low to mid 20 degrees until we got past Deans Marsh and it started to warm up. This ride was by far the longest that Rob has ridden on his Harley, and he said that he really enjoyed our company, after apologising for the number of fuel stops.

And Steve Grass was saying that he had a sore bum after the ride, well Steve; there is only one way to fix that problem, you need to get out on the bike more.

Again, thanks to Rob Hunt for being T.E.C. and hopefully I will see you on the road soon.

Cheers,
Gentle
Ron Howell
Ron Howell

Back to top Go down

Otway's Ride   24th Jan .2021 Empty Re: Otway's Ride 24th Jan .2021

Post by Mark Nicoll Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:46 am

Yes Ron, I must agree - it was the best Sunday ride yet in 2021!

I also agree that the shed in Ferguson, called the "NouriShed" is pretty good for a stop. 
Food, good coffee, and lots of historical photos, memorabilia and other stuff to look at.

Turton's Track was certainly in the best condition I had seen it and it was a very good, smooth run along it.

I'm sorry I had to leave after Turton's, but glad the group had a good run for the rest of it.
Thanks for organising it Ron.
Mark Nicoll
Mark Nicoll

Ron Howell likes this post

Back to top Go down