Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend

2 posters

Go down

Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend Empty Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend

Post by Ron Howell Sun May 23, 2021 5:26 pm

Ride report: Ron (Gentle) Howell
Pics: Peter (The Lens) Barclay

What perfect weather for riding, I arrived at Waurn Ponds around 8:40am, no clouds, no wind and about 10 degrees temp.  By the departure time of 9:00 am we had a nice small group of 8 riders, 1 pillion (Jim Lupton’s granddaughter) and Geoff & Janice following in a car.  Mark N. explained where we are going and about the lack of fuel in Woodend, and due to the small group size we decided that corner marking would not be required for most of the trip, as long as everyone kept an eye on the rider following.

Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend I-HCQn2zF-L

Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend I-7wptnpw-L

We departed Waurn Ponds and zig zagged our way over to Anakie then to Staughton Vale, Balliang and into East Bacchus Marsh where we stopped for smoko at Mona’s Café (The Big Apple Orchard) where we received great hospitality and service. We left Geoff & Janice and one of our riders who felt as though his head was not in the right space to safely continue the ride (I believe that this was a right decision on the day).
Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend I-TZgxvsq-L

Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend I-zNWnS5m-L

We departed from Mona’s and headed east to Toolern Vale and the hills towards Gisborne, this is where the Ride Leading skills of Mark started to shine through for all of us on the ride. I doubt if many of us have been along Mt Gisborne Rd, before, a good road with nice views towards the East.  Then through Gisbourne and New Gisbourne and on to more “previously un ridden roads” through to Mt Macedon. Oh how the top 10% income earners live, and don’t let anyone tell you that there is no money in breeding/training Race Horses, besides good roads it was an eye opener.  It was up and over Mt Macedon and into Woodend, I hope everyone waved to the speed camera just off the main street.  We stopped for lunch next to Burkies Bakehouse,  this has to be one of the most popular Bakeries around, people line up out on the footpath to be served, and the classic cars out front and cruising the streets were also a bonus if you like “muscle cars”. We were also joined by 2 members of the Grampians Branch to ride with us to Trentham.

As we were preparing to depart for the homeward journey, I asked 4 Ambo officers if they had a Defibrillator with them and if they would offer to jump start a motorcycle that I cannot name, belonging to a young bloke that tried push starting his bike, (not from our group). They laughed about it but still declined so I took my trusty jump starter and tools and saved their day for them. My mouth was bleeding from having to bite my tongue.

Mark again led us on a merry trip to Trentham where we said goodbye to our fellow Grampians members, and we had a pleasant downhill run to Greendale, from here it was over to the Freeway so that some could top up the tanks for the final run along Ballan-Anakie Rd into Batesford where we went our separate ways home.

On behalf of the riders, Thanks Mark for a great day of riding, for those that couldn’t and didn’t want to make the day “Bad luck” you missed a ripper 300km ride.

Cheers,
Gentle.
Ron Howell
Ron Howell

Graeme Beardwood and Mark Nicoll like this post

Back to top Go down

Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend Empty Re: Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend

Post by Mark Nicoll Thu May 27, 2021 10:23 pm

Thanks Ron.
Yes it was a really good day out, and it’s always nice taking the group on new roads.
Thanks to everyone for their company.
Mark Nicoll
Mark Nicoll

Ron Howell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend Empty Re: Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend

Post by Mark Nicoll Mon May 31, 2021 12:19 pm

A few photos from the day:

Some of the crew at Mona's Café in Bacchus Marsh.
Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend XtBmK4Cl

Our host who runs the café in the foreground - who runs a very good business there.
Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend U0dX1l6l

Random parking across from the Woodend Bourkies Bakery
Sunday 23rd May, Mark's ride to Woodend DojNe7ul
Mark Nicoll
Mark Nicoll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down