Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride

3 posters

Go down

Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride Empty Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride

Post by Jules Pearce Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:24 pm

Ride Report: Graeme Beardwood

Pics: Jules Pearce

The original plan (Plan A) was to ride to Port Campbell however due to the forecast bad weather, our ride leader (Jules) advised everyone a day before the ride, that we would change the destination to Apollo Bay (Plan B) for lunch.

Everyone must have been keen to go on the ride as most of the riders were actually at Warne Ponds McDonalds soon after 9:00am - all looking skyward or checking their phones for the latest weather advice from the BOM.

Right on 9:30am, Jules called everyone together for an update of Plan B, being morning tea at Forrest (Platypi Chocolate), a more upmarket venue than what we are used to.   Jules also mentioned that there was a potential Plan C - suggested by Marty (being lunch at Lorne) but we would decide between Plans B or C at morning tea.  Gentle, who looked very comfortable on his Triumph, was appointed TEC.

Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride I-Tbp44td-L

Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride I-g8XDFfL-XL

A total of 15 riders set off and headed to Deans Marsh via Ceres and then on to Forrest.   There were roadworks in progress just before Forrest so we had to detour via Seven Bridges Road.  At Forrest, we were joined by three fellow riders who had made their way down from Colac.   All riders parked on a slip road opposite the Platypi, much to the chagrin of a couple towing their caravan, who were concerned as to whether they could drive out OK without clipping our bikes.  Heaps of room!!

Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride I-RSQT9dF-XL

Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride I-xpCKWLR-L

Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride I-HCb2wFC-L

Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride I-f8M6VsR-L

The staff at Platypi were expecting us (thanks to an earlier phone call from Jules before we left Waurn Ponds) so service went very smoothly.  There was a good selection of food and seating in the back verandah overlooking the forest, was really picturesque and peaceful.   Many of the riders opted for the house special, being a ‘deconstructed hot chocolate’ which provided a sense of theatre for those that ordered it.

Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride I-gpw2CZN-XL

Just prior to setting off, Jules announced to everyone that we were going with Plan C, being a left-hand turn at Skenes Creek, for lunch at Lorne.  The Forrest-Apollo Bay road was quite free of traffic and those trucks/cars that we did come across, kindly moved over to allow us to pass - who in turn received a ‘Thank You’ gesture from many riders.  There were two or three short stops at road-work sites but otherwise the ride was great, allowing for great riding and a sense of being ‘as one’ with your bike around the bends.  This continued once we got to Skenes Creek and headed towards Lorne, with only a couple of holdups due to road works.  No sign of any bad weather!

Once we arrived at Lorne, parking at the Life Saving Club, riders then split to visit their favourite place for lunch hopefully away from the cockatoos, who at one venue, were sitting on diner’s shoulders.   Still no sign of deteriorating weather!

Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride I-c6pPp7S-L

Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride I-N6Q2m5c-L

At 1:30pm riders were all ready to go, but waiting on a couple of members to make their way to the bikes who had got caught up talking to a new club member who happened to be in Lorne and introduced himself.  A new rider for our Wednesday Coffee rides!   Weather was still good. 

The ride from Lorne was again free of traffic, and what traffic there was, were very courteous in allowing us to pass.   Still some road-works but not too much of a worry.  We are so fortunate to have the GOR so near to us, still a wonderful road to ride on both from the experience and the view.

We arrived at Anglesea just on 2:30pm and still no sign of bad weather.  Farewells were said and well deserved ‘thankyous’ to Gentle for his TEC duties and to Jules for his excellent planning (all A-B-C) and for setting an ideal pace.
All up, a great day both in terms of the ride and for the forecast weather conditions, holding off until we all got home.

One observation from the ride is that there are now two roles (jobs) that have demonstrated tremendous growth in numbers over the last couple of years.  Firstly, the Stop-Slow Sign-holders at roadworks and secondly, Epidemiologists.  They seem to be everywhere!

Graeme
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Patt Cristina, Peter Townsend, Stewart Beveridge and Mark Nicoll like this post

Back to top Go down

Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride Empty Re: Wed 13th Oct Mid week GO Road Ride

Post by Peter Townsend Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:48 am

Good report Graeme, and in spite of the doom and gloom weather forecast it was indeed a great day out!! You obviously had a better run from Lorne to Anglesea as some of us were stuck behind a school bus until Aireys Inlet!! At least it wasn't a tourist bus full of Chinese!!

Peter Townsend

Mark Nicoll likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bolitho Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:05 pm

Good report Apologies for keeping the group waiting in Lorne. I went back via Deans Marsh and got very wet! Hope to meet more of you shortly!

John Bolitho

Jules Pearce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down