Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Midweek Overnighter - Pyrenees Peregrination

4 posters

Go down

Midweek Overnighter - Pyrenees Peregrination Empty Midweek Overnighter - Pyrenees Peregrination

Post by Mark Nicoll Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:12 pm

Ride Leader, Report and Photos – Mark Nicoll
More photos to come…

Well, this one was in the planning for a while, and the uptake was quick once it was announced. It’s great to see members enjoying the longer two-day rides.

Leading into the start date, we were booked out, however, while still unpredictable, a couple of our group came down with Covid. One of the girls a week before, and one of the guys two days before. A couple of quick accommodation re-shuffles and we were good to go. Then one of the guy’s partners got ill the night before and ended up not being able to come along on the day.
Midweek Overnighter - Pyrenees Peregrination ALQB8iMh

Thirteen of us met at the start and headed off via Anakie and Balliang to Ballan for our first stop. Weather cool but fine. From here it was out through Blackwood and Trentham, where the temperature dropped (as it always does!) down to single figures. As we came off the ranges through Spring Hill, Malmsbury and Taradale, it warmed up, and we unofficially tagged the beginning of the Pyrenees Highway at Elphinstone.
Then through historic Chewton, Castlemaine and on to Newstead, where we had lunch at the DIG café.
After a leisurely (read ‘slow’) lunch, it was off to Maryborough for fuel, still travelling along the Pyrenees Hwy, through Avoca and out to Amphitheatre for a rest stop. From here we took in a loop through the south-eastern part of the ranges, riding down through Lexton, back along the very scenic Greenhills Creek Rd, back through Avoca and popped out to see the Avoca Silo Art, with the big painting of the Barking Owl.
Midweek Overnighter - Pyrenees Peregrination XokbyuFh

Then a simple run out to Moonambel Hotel Resort, getting there as planned at 4pm. Secure parking in the back yard of the pub too.
At the Moonambel Hotel, Host Stewart and his daughter Kirsty made us feel most welcome and attended to all our needs. A casual sit out on the rear sundeck for the remainder of the afternoon, then in for dinner. They don’t normally open Wednesday nights, but Stewart made an exception for us because of our numbers, and we had the place to ourselves. With Stewart in the kitchen flying solo and Kirsty on bar and serving duties, it was a great night. I think everyone was satisfied with their choice of meals, and a couple couldn’t manage to get through the quantity.
Needless to say, there was a little alcohol consumed… All in all it was a fun night.
But as was discussed, and believe me there was plenty of discussions…
what happens on the ride – stays on the ride! 
Route - Day 1:
Midweek Overnighter - Pyrenees Peregrination Zpiayuah

The next morning was a casual start, with breakfast provided and Stewart dishing out bacon and eggs on nice toasted turkish bread all round.
We headed off by 9.30, after I gave one of our 3 Phil’s a heads up that he left his bike cover hanging on the fence in the back yard.
Mmmmm … was it Dr. Phil, Lucky Phil or the other Phil…??

To take in more of the Pyrenees Ranges, we headed out North through Barkly, Navarre and then South via Landsborough, Glenloftie, Elmhurst, Raglan to Beaufort. I must say, and many of the crew agreed, that the 30km section of Elmurst-Raglan Rd was fantastic. Newly widened and resealed, it had hills and gullies, lots of big sweeping bends and was just a delight to ride.
Beaufort was a rest and fuel stop, but because we’d all had a cooked breakfast, nobody was hungry. Although we did take the chance to get some good coffees.
Midweek Overnighter - Pyrenees Peregrination N4PiW7rh

From Beaufort we headed past Mt Emu, Carngham, Snake Valley, Happy Valley, Cape Clear for a loo stop, then Dereel towards Mt Mercer.
Now instead of taking the well-known Shelford-Mt Mercer drag strip… errrr sorry… I meant Road, we took the alternate drag-st… sorry Gumly Rd where some riders reported going “quite quick” …
(What happens on the ride.. etc..etc.)

We finished up at Inverleigh with everything done by 2 o’clock.
A nice early finish after a great 2 days riding and a big night…
Route - Day 2:
Midweek Overnighter - Pyrenees Peregrination 3BFfFdLh

The riding group was really like a well-oiled machine, and from a leader’s and the TEC’s point of view (Dennis and Greg – thank you!), was one of the smoothest, cohesive groups we’ve done.

Thankyou everyone who came along and made it one of the more memorable Midweek overnighters.
Mark Nicoll
Mark Nicoll

Jules Pearce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Midweek Overnighter - Pyrenees Peregrination Empty Re: Midweek Overnighter - Pyrenees Peregrination

Post by Phil Watters Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:46 pm

This was a well organised and well directed ride. Thanks Mark for an excellent two day adventure. The weather was so kind to us.

Phil Watters

Jules Pearce and Mark Nicoll like this post

Back to top Go down

Midweek Overnighter - Pyrenees Peregrination Empty Re: Midweek Overnighter - Pyrenees Peregrination

Post by Jules Pearce Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:07 pm

Thanks again Mark for organising and leading a couple of fun filled days of riding.
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Mark Nicoll and Phil Watters like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mal Marsden Mon May 02, 2022 10:48 am

Many thanks for taking us on a fantastic ride Mark.As one who can get lost on the back of a postage stamp I’m in awe of where you take us,and you didn’t let us down this time.That ride through the pine tree road was my type of road,long sweeping bends and as I was the rider right behind you I could see how much you were loving it too 
Once again many thanks for a special couple of days and too the good fellow riders who made it a great time away on the bikes 
Take care ride safely Mal

Mal Marsden

Jules Pearce and Mark Nicoll like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down