Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daylesford Ride 12th January 2022

2 posters

Go down

Daylesford Ride 12th January 2022 Empty Daylesford Ride 12th January 2022

Post by Jules Pearce Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:55 am

Ride Report: Peter Townsend
Pics: Peter Townsend & Graham Aitken

RIDE REPORT – DAYLESFORD – 12  JAN. 2022

I apparently “volunteered” to do this 1st ride report of 2022, even though I have no memory of raising my hand! Unfortunately, short term memory loss is a common condition of advancing old age, so it looks like it’s something I’d better get used to! (One thing for sure is I won’t be attending any property auctions as an inquisitive onlooker, any time soon!) So, if my memory serves, I hopped on to a bike (a blue and white one – I think) and rode to W/P Maccas car park and joined 14 other people to spend the day riding around the countryside, hopefully ending up somewhere! Ride leader, Graham outlined our plan of attack and had decided Bacchus Marsh, instead of Ballan, would be the morning coffee stop, and time constraints would then dictate how we get to Daylesford (lunch destination) and how we would get back home. Mal S “volunteered” for TEC duties, but didn’t have a high viz orange vest to identify him – this wasn’t deemed a concern though, cos if you didn’t see him, you’d certainly hear him!

Daylesford Ride 12th January 2022 I-9gT92bT-L

So, according to my SatNav and some others with more reliable memory, we headed West out on the Highway and on through Ceres via Cochranes Rd. We then cut across to the Hamilton Hwy and then the Midland Hwy and on up to Maude, via Bakers Bridge Rd. At Maude we turned right (Thompsons Rd) bringing us out on to the Anakie Rd and into Anakie, where Michael B joined us, increasing our number to 16. Michael apparently had spent a relaxing 45 minutes or so taking in the sights and sounds of Anakie, (which usually can be accomplished in about 3 minutes & 45 seconds!), whilst awaiting our arrival!  (Someone hadn’t factored in the Ulyssean zigzag method of navigation, when advising him of our ETA!) Then it was on up to Bacchus Marsh via Staughton Vale, Balliang and Rowsley and to the Baby Black café right in the middle of “the Marsh”, where coffee and food beckoned. The weather was coolish, around 20 degrees with high cloud cover and the odd bit of drizzle to keep us company, and no wind making for comfortable riding conditions.

Daylesford Ride 12th January 2022 I-FxNXvrq-L

Daylesford Ride 12th January 2022 I-xpv8CPM-L

Daylesford Ride 12th January 2022 I-7DhDzpS-L

Daylesford Ride 12th January 2022 I-BzsgsJ3-L

After morning coffee 6 of our group headed home for various reasons, leaving 10 of us to continue on to the lunch destination. We headed out on the Western Fwy, taking the Pentland Hills Rd exit and then to Myrniong, Greendale, Blackwood and Trentham. The Sun, by now, had decided to join us and the temperature moved upwards to the mid 20s – extremely pleasant and enjoyable. I was surprised by how little traffic was on these roads and, from leaving Bacchus Marsh, I don’t believe any cars got in our way until we hit the Daylesford Rd at Trentham – without a doubt an extremely enjoyable bit of motorcycling, helping us remember why we do what we do!  However, once on the Daylesford Rd the traffic increased and Daylesford was its usual bustling, busy, slightly chaotic town that every man and his dog seems to be attracted to! We parked in the main street and found lunch at the various cafes and bakeries that abound.

Daylesford Ride 12th January 2022 I-XS99pZN-L

Daylesford Ride 12th January 2022 I-tbJX6XN

Daylesford Ride 12th January 2022 I-f2qnsR6-L

After lunch, Russell needed to head back to Geelong and the remaining 9 of us refuelled and regrouped at the BP Servo to commence our homeward leg of the ride. We headed South on the Ballan Rd and turned right onto the Spargo Creek Rd at Korweinguboora, arriving at Gordon via Springbank Rd and Moorabool W Rd – these narrow country lanes certainly keep you alert and vigilant as you weave and dodge around potholes, washouts, oncoming traffic and more than usual large gravel patches ( I guess washed onto the road by the wet weather these areas have recently had!) From Gordon it was East on the Old Melb. Rd to the Geelong/Ballan Rd where we turned right and down towards Anakie. At the Stony Creek reservoir we turned right, onto the Slate Quarry Rd and on into Meredith – the ride’s end. At the reservoirs, Ian and Mike (big black Indian) continued on to Anakie to head home, so 7 of us pulled up at Meredith to complete the ride.

Upon reflection, an extremely enjoyable ride to herald in the New Year – the weather gods treated us to a comfortable Summer’s day (the forecast right up to Tuesday morning was for a very wet Wednesday! – thankfully that held off to the following day.) Good mix of interesting and sometimes challenging roads – even had a few kays of freeway cruising at a legal 110Kph! Well done to Graham (who seemed to put the ride route together on the fly) and thanks to Mal for keeping us together. The 7 riders who completed the ride included Raff from Cressy (I believe) on a gorgeous looking Triumph Street Cup café racer. Warm welcome Raff and hope to see you on future rides. By the time I got back home in Grovedale, I had clocked up around 300 Kays – longest ride yet on my latest steed – which I’m becoming quite fond of!

Peter t.
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Graeme Beardwood, Jules Pearce and Mark Nicoll like this post

Back to top Go down

Daylesford Ride 12th January 2022 Empty Re: Daylesford Ride 12th January 2022

Post by Graeme Beardwood Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:44 am

Excellent ride and ride-report.
Half the fun of these days, is to sit back and read Peter's Ride Reports.   Definitely a talent!
Graeme Beardwood
Graeme Beardwood

Jules Pearce likes this post

Back to top Go down