Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Short Sunday ride to Ballarat 7 January 2024

Go down

Short Sunday ride to Ballarat 7 January 2024 Empty Short Sunday ride to Ballarat 7 January 2024

Post by Jules Pearce Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:49 pm

Ride Leader: John Grace

Ride Reports & TEC: Ron Howell

Pics: "The Lens"

The prophesied weather for the day was that it was going to be very wet, especially as we were going to Ballarat.

Whilst I was sitting by myself at 9:05, the Ride Leader John G. had not even arrived and I am thinking that everyone thought it would be too wet for an enjoyable ride, wait a minute, someone on a new Triumph 1100 Tiger has rolled up? It turned out to be a prospective member asking if he could join us on the ride, I explained that there hopefully will be more rolling up for the ride. By 9:25 there are 6 intrepid riders ready to ride before the rain is going to hit us.

Short Sunday ride to Ballarat 7 January 2024 I-GC4Jmgw-L

Short Sunday ride to Ballarat 7 January 2024 I-d83WbX9-L

We departed at 9:32 am (take note of the time, latecomer), with John leading our small group, to Ceres, across to Gheringhap, where we allowed the “latecomer” to join us, (it is certainly helpful that we include our 1st stopping point on the Ride Calendars), then to Steiglitz and on to Meredith for smoko, toilet, and tall tales.

Short Sunday ride to Ballarat 7 January 2024 I-HGZzxhh-L

Short Sunday ride to Ballarat 7 January 2024 I-LXvQNC6-L

We departed from Meredith with John agreeing to stop and allow us to put on wet weather gear if the rain started, we travelled north along the Midland Hwy to Clarendon then to Lal Lal, Yendon and towards Mt Egerton. We stopped along this road to put the wet gear on as it started to drizzle, at Mt Egerton John’s GPS decided to have a rest, therefore John and I swapped positions in the ride and I lead off to take us to Millbrook, Bungaree, Pootilla and then to Kirks Reservoir where we stopped to check out the facilities and superb landscapes.

Short Sunday ride to Ballarat 7 January 2024 I-TwhckvS-L

Short Sunday ride to Ballarat 7 January 2024 I-g7XfpJ8-L

Short Sunday ride to Ballarat 7 January 2024 I-SMQM65f-L

With John back as our fearless leader, we found our way into Ballarat where we saw numerous wonderful old buildings and the historic Sovereign Hill, during this part of the ride it was shown to me that we have an apprentice “Biggles” amongst us, he had a few women pedestrians wondering if they knew the person on the motor bike waving to them, as Tail End Charley, I had a good laugh anyway.

Back to the ride, we were going to have lunch at Buninyong, but we had to detour before we got there due to the whole town centre and to Mt Buninyong being closed off for a sports event. John then decided to go straight to Rokewood so that we could buy lunch from the General Store.

We enjoyed lunch, out of the light rain, under the rotunda opposite the shop, where there were more discussions held to solve the financial worries of all Australians. It was then time to mount up, and we said our goodbyes to Mike A, who was going to Colac and to our prospective member Mark, who lives at Bannockburn, we were going directly to Shelford and finishing the ride at Inverleigh.

Short Sunday ride to Ballarat 7 January 2024 I-WJRPFRV-L

Thanks to John G, for an excellent 220km ride and for controlling the rain for us, also to the other 5 riders that attended and kept each other entertained.  Special thanks to Peter “The Lens” for his photography skills.

Cheers,
Gentle.
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Back to top Go down