Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022

Go down

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 Empty Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022

Post by Jules Pearce Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:53 am

Ride Leader and Report: Peter Townsend

Pics: Peter T and Peter 'The Lens' Barclay

Fifteen riders assembled at Waurn Ponds Maccas carpark to take part in today’s ride – we actually had 16 however “Dodgy” apparently doesn’t look at the Ride Calendar (you know, the one that Mark puts heaps of time and effort in keeping up to date!) and thought today was just a Wed. morning coffee ride. So then he decided to join the ride till our coffee stop at Forrest and then at the last moment contented himself with just doing a lap of the carpark and then heading home – ah, sometimes you gotta wonder what goes through the mind of BMW riders!? Anyway, after outlining our plan of attack and a happy snap taken by our “official” club photographer “the Lens” (– yes folks, he’s retired again!) we mounted up and headed offski with Raff (on a brand new and highly desirable matt black Triumph Speed Twin) volunteering to have the longest ride of the day!

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-jv64MGT-L

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-LR5CVsK-L

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-6Q6BLPZ-L

We headed out on the Colac road, and after regrouping at the truck and rest stop on the freeway,  continued on roads well travelled through Moriac, Deans Marsh, Pennyroyal, Barwon Downs and  into Forrest for our morning stop at Platypi Chocolate. Weather was a coolish 18 degrees but dry with a fairly gusty South Easterly breeze to help us along.

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-QW83ghk-L

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-45Z6BPK-L

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-SnzxNX6-L

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-qh8cZx6-L

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-jbD3N3N-L

After morning coffee (and in some cases deconstructed hot chocolate – whatever that is!?) Wayne headed home and 14 of us continued on through Barramunga and Tanbryn where we stopped to regroup before tackling Turton’s Track. Unfortunately it didn’t occur to me to let Raff know that Wayne was leaving the group at Forrest, so Raff held back waiting for Wayne to hit the road, only to see him eventually head off in the opposite direction to everyone else! (As I mentioned before, sometimes you wonder what goes through the mind of BMW riders!) Raff then had to play “catch up” to join us at the start of Turton’s Track – as a ride leader you live and learn!

Turton’s Track was its usual damp, slippery, leaf and bark littered, adrenalin inducing ride that keeps you on high alert for 15 Klms or so, and we regrouped at the end of the track to make sure all was well. As we were about to head off again, a logging truck came towards us and headed down the track – perfect timing from a very relieved ride leader! (I did a “reccy” of the ride route last week and encountered one of these trucks coming towards me on the track – these trucks are bloody long and wide and the track is bloody narrow – it almost caused a “wish I had brought a change of underwear” moment!)

We headed down to Lavers Hill where we joined the GOR and on past Princetown where we turned right on the Princetown Rd and then cut across undulating dairy farm country eventually finding Timboon, via Melrose Rd and Cooriemungle Rd.  Parking in the IGA supermarket car park we attacked the local bakery for lunch which we then had in a small grassy park area with seats and tables, at the end of the shopping strip. It was also great to catch up with Jimbo who had ridden down from Portland to join us for lunch.

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-6jzRd6M-L

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-dXRJXRJ-L

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-Dg5CmWt-L

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-XpLkc2g-L

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-gVV58wF-L

After lunch 3 of our group parted company and the remaining 11 headed up to the Shell servo to refuel and regroup before heading homeward bound – refuelling turned out to be a bit of a circus – the servo had 4 sets of pumps but only 2 were actually working, so it took ages before we were all ready to rock and roll. Then, a certain ride leader tried to take off with the side stand down, causing the engine to cut out and then somehow confused the onboard computer and electronics to the stage where the starter switch went into sulk mode and refused to do anything – Bugger!! So after swearing at the thing in my best German and not having any effect, someone suggested I pull the clutch lever in  - which I did and lo and behold it then started. No – I have no idea why either!! (BMW designated this Rotax motored twin as the “F” series – at least I now know what the “F” stands for and it’s not for “Fun” as I originally thought!)

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-27vg2hL-L

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-mVR5Jf2-L

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-m4kWt6h-L

Timboon Ride Wed 9th March 2022 I-rMrkZML-L

We headed off in the vague direction of Colac via Scotts Creek, Jancourt East, Irrewillipe, Barongarook and at Yeo turned right onto the Colac/Forrest Rd. Then we found the Colac/Lorne Rd which brought us to the Birregurra/Forrest Rd where we turned left and continued on to the Cape Otway Rd. It was then left onto the Winchelsea/Deans Marsh Rd and on into Winchelsea where we finished the ride at the public toilets on the Geelong side of the Barwon River. Five of our group didn’t take the Winch turnoff and kept going straight through to Moriac and then home, leaving only 6 of us to complete the ride at Winch.

I enjoyed the ride, as I always do, and I know the other 5 who finished at Winch also enjoyed the day – I hope and assume everyone else also had a good day out on 2 wheels – by the time I arrived home I had clocked up around 350klm. The weather, although a bit cool for early March made riding conditions reasonably comfortable, and if it wasn’t for the fairly strong SE wind, conditions would have been ideal. Thankyou to Raff for your maiden TEC duties, and to Peter B for some happy snaps and to everyone else for your company and taking part in the ride.

Peter t.
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Graeme Beardwood and Mark Nicoll like this post

Back to top Go down