Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022

4 posters

Go down

Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022 Empty Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022

Post by Mark Nicoll Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:42 pm

Ride Leader & Report: Mark Nicoll

The weather was fine and warm for our Sunday ride, as I waited for the arrivals at Corio Roadhouse.
I always do have the thought about somebody not reading the calendar and noting the start point IS NOT the usual Waurn Ponds…
I was half anticipating a phone call by 9.30 am…

But it was not to be, and once 9.30 arrived we had 9 riders and a pillion ready to go.
Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022 JzMqxymh
Raff's pillion Sandra was out of shot - a bit camera shy Smile 

First point – and a late change - the ride was now to Creswick for lunch, to avoid a clash with Rob Pow’s ride to Clunes next month.
We headed off, working our way off the Bacchus Marsh Rd, through Anakie and Balliang, and then took the back way up and along Ironbark Rd, above the Werribee Gorge, to Ballan for our first stop.
Here we were joined by Rob, a friend of Jules who would join us to lunch. One of our group departed from here, for a busy day at home.
Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022 NLtTo8eh
Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022 QSNnvQ7h

From here it was out through Daylesford and Hepburn, from where it became more interesting as we passed through Shepherds Flat and Cricket Willow – the home of the original Aussie cricket bat.
Through Yandoit, Werona along some single lane and scenic back-country roads through the hills, then back South via Kooroocheang, before passing through Kingston and into Creswick.

We just got into the bakery in time, before a big mob of Harley Club riders swarmed the joint and sent the queue out the door and down the street!   Bloody bikers!
After a casual lunch, and farewell to Jules and Rob (who lives in Kingston), it was a quick fuel-up for those who needed it, then we headed West out through Ascot and around the hills above Lake Learmonth.
From here we accessed the Northernmost end of the Ballarat Avenue of Honour. I used to think that the Avenue went from the Ballarat end in Alfredton, through Burrumbeet and finished at the Western Hwy, but following re-development several years ago, it has connected with this northern 6km section out to Weatherboard (Learmonth).
Amazingly, this makes the complete Avenue a total of 22km long, which represents many, many thousands of lives lost in WWI.
It is always a very sobering journey along this Avenue.

Then we detoured via Haddon and into Napoleons for a break and loo stop. 
Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022 WVdVUInh
Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022 M7U7NDXh

From here it was out to Mt Mercer and the loooooong straight road to Shelford, finishing in Bannockburn with about 330km under our wheels.
All in all a very good day out, a great bunch of riders who stuck together very well all day, and home by around 4 o’clock.
Thanks to Rob V-D-Z for going TEC, Peter for some photos, and thanks everyone for coming along.
Mark Nicoll
Mark Nicoll

Jules Pearce, Peter Townsend and John Bolitho like this post

Back to top Go down

Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022 Empty Re: Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022

Post by Phil Watters Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:53 pm

Gee, you got my chrome dome positively glowing there.  Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022 1f606

Phil Watters

Mark Nicoll likes this post

Back to top Go down

Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022 Empty Re: Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022

Post by Peter Townsend Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:09 pm

Most enjoyable late summer's day out on a bike - great country roads between Daylesford and Creswick - Well done Mark - another excellent ride with the group!

Peter Townsend

Jules Pearce, Mark Nicoll and Phil Watters like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules Pearce Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:31 pm

Thanks for an enjoyable ride Mark (and ride report and pics). Here's some more pics that I took.

Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022 I-BKhT2w2-XL

Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022 I-2XxWqZH-XL

Creswick Ride Sunday 20th March 2022 I-3qdJ4F9-L
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Mark Nicoll and Phil Watters like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down