Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022

3 posters

Go down

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 Empty Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022

Post by Jules Pearce Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:24 pm

Report: Sheryl Townsend
Pics: Jules Pearce & Sheryl Townsend

This was my first Winter ride in almost 2 years and I had forgotten about how many layers were required! Not to mention I had done my annual “last-hot-day-of-summer jacket wash” and all the padding was not where it was before ‘The wash’. So, with a lot of help from Graham when I arrived at Maccas, and liner back in I finally got myself into Winter mode.

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-vzLLgN5-L

Ten of us set off from Waurn Ponds, travelling via Ceres, Winchelsea along the Marjorie Lawrence Drive (Marjorie Lawrence: The World at her Feet – great film if you get the chance to see it), through Deans Marsh (and the Sunday coffee crew at the General Store) onto Forrest Brewery for morning tea. After a lovely coffee and cake, four members left to head back to Geelong - was it the thought of Turton’s Track that put them off perhaps?

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-gPWXZ5F-L

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-2PR8QVS-L

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-QgjdsM9-L

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-TjZ9JCm-L

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-b988mXw-L

Six of us now set off to brave Turton’s Track – wet and even more fallen bark than normal made it a cautious ride till we were out in the open again - a bit faster cautious ride now - and headed onto the Redwoods in Beech Forest.  We had a near miss with a Wallaby – not hopping out in front of us…but sitting in a paddock and being pointed out by the ride leader… a tale to be embellished upon around campfires of the future!

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-NgG8KQ4-L

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-4RG25vz-L

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-HNmnBhz-L

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-9MpQZnj-L

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-9BTPRfh-XL

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-j35hDNm-XL

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-sWKrbLp-L

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-HwmPnw2-L

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-nCbJz53-XL

After a walk around the amazing Redwoods, we rode onto lunch at the Otway NouriShed in Ferguson. Soul warming meat pies and giant burgers hit the spot well.

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-rxpjZRc-L

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-W6drvBD-L

Feeling replete, we set off on one of my favourite roads – the Colac-Lavers Hill Road, with the obligatory toilet stop in “Birre”.
Lost Biggles there to a Museum…as a visitor that is… and 4 of us finished the ride at Moriac.

Thanks Jules for The Jules’ June (almost) Solstice Quintessential Winter ride – you provided fog, single digit temperatures, wet roads, slippery bark and a great fun day! Thanks to Rob for t.e.c. 

Snow next time please. 😊

Sheryl Townsend

Last edited by Jules Pearce on Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Peter Townsend and Mark Nicoll like this post

Back to top Go down

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 Empty Re: Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022

Post by Peter Townsend Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:14 pm

Well done to the foolhardy few! Unfortunately my idea of a good day out involves being able to see more than 50 metres, dry roads, double digit temperatures and sunshine! Wot a woose!!

Peter Townsend

Jules Pearce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 Empty Re: Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022

Post by Mark Nicoll Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:20 pm

Well done Jules and great report Sheryl!
Lots of good photos too.
Sorry I had to miss this one. 
I haven't been down to the Redwoods for a couple of years so must get back there soon.
I hear that the 5km or so of Binns Rd to the Redwoods is now all bitumen.

Last edited by Mark Nicoll on Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Nicoll
Mark Nicoll

Jules Pearce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules Pearce Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:44 pm

Binn's Rd is sealed all the way down to the Redwoods Mark. Hopetoun falls is just up the road and well worth a look. When I went there just after Easter the falls were flowing really well. It's just the 200steps down and back up to the car park that are a killer at the falls.

Giant Redwoods Ride Sunday 19th June 2022 I-bxrfHMV-XL
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Mark Nicoll likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down