Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022

Go down

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 Empty Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022

Post by Jules Pearce Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:54 pm

Great Ocean Road Ramble Nov 9 &10 
Photos and report by Various

Here is half a ride report!    I can really only write about the 1st Day.  
Up at the crack of 5:30 pm to make it down to Torquay in plenty of time.  (Departure from Colac for me, with Marlene coming in her car).   I got to our departure spot  just after 8:00am.  That gave me time to refuel, toilet and have a coffee.  As we relaxed a dribble of participant drifted in and did much the same as we did.
By 8:45am we had a full contingent of 12 bikes and one car.   Our Ramble began with Mark leading the ride and Greg taking up the duties of TEC.  

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 I-2qqDL3B-L

The Great Ocean Road is just a marvel.  Beautiful views, and windy roads.  The weather was very sunny for our first leg.  Morning tea at Lorne, where shops are still struggling for staff . Cape Patton is spectacular when approaching Apollo Bay.
Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 I-Mq8GjHs-L

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 I-cmhVQRW-L

Lunch at Apollo Bay was a bee line to the bakery.  We talked with a bloke from Tassie, and he did not have two heads or even the scar to prove removal of one head.  Nice bloke, lonely as he had just lost his wife in April.

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 I-HrDg6VT-XL

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 I-C2drBdV-XL

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 I-JMPRTkD-XL

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 I-Kt9ghHc-XL

There were intermittent road works along the GOR, but that did not detract from the ride.  Marty’s bike died at one of these road work stops.  The problem was rectified after a bit of scratching about.  Loose battery terminal.  As with many modern bikes the battery is pretty well hard to get to.  I think it took more time accessing the battery and putting everything back in place than actually fixing the problem .   Typical of a 5 minute job taking more than 5..

Onto Port Campbell for about a 1/2 hr break, then the last leg to Koroit, with the mandatory fuel stop at Warrnambool.   No hassles.

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 I-TjGPk7Q-XL

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 I-ZvCRNGk-XL

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 I-TdjtRdK-XL

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 I-MtRshg3-XL

Our host Wendy at Micky Bourke’s Hotel had our sleeping quarters all in order, and it was time to relax, have a meal and talk a lot of rubbish.

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 I-fNjfWhP-XL

Great Ocean Road Ramble Overnighter 9 & 10 Nov 2022 I-264gx6H-XL

The next morning we were greeted with overcast to wet conditions.  The debate about the route home was taking shape.  Some wanted to go to Tower Hill , others not.   The shortest longer route seemed the homeward bound option.

I wanted to get home as I had other commitments very early the next day.  So I departed with Marlene in tow.  However, the rest of the group caught up with us just before the Hopkins Falls.   We diverted to the Falls while the others continued on to Timboon.

It rained from about Stonyford onwards .  I got home just after 11:00am.  By noon the skies really opened up.

Talking with Jules the next day, he told me that the main group had lunch at Timboon and then headed to Irrewillipe and Colac.  By the time they got to Colac it was bucketing down, so I don’t envy the group riding back to Geelong and surrounds.
Despite the rain, it was another great overnighter organised by Mark.   He leaves nothing to chance, making sure that he has previously ridden the route.   Well done again.

Stan Kluzek
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

James Rousseaux likes this post

Back to top Go down