Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023

2 posters

Go down

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 Empty Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023

Post by Jules Pearce Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:08 pm

Ride Leader: Sheryl Townsend

Ride Report: Phil Watters

Pics: Peter (The Lens) Barclay & Jules Pearce

On a bright August morning, after an early frost, some 18 or so riders assembled at WP Maccas. Sheryl briefed us, on her first ride as leader, and Mal volunteered as TEC.

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-rcLxnNz-XL

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-DdJ2ttd-L

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-PLxNZn6-L

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-MDffMsh-XL

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-wmTddd6-L

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-79gWvxM

We wandered up to Pigdons Rd then down to the highway, along to Cochranes Rd and on to Ceres. Along Barrabool Rd until it becomes Gnarwarre Rd, if you go straight ahead, all the way until the bitumen ends, then a left turn onto 5km of gravel, which Sheryl warned about in the briefing, to cries of "I just washed it" and murmurs of trepidation. I managed to be number three at the corner so was second behind Sheryl on the dirt with thoughts of "eat my dust" but feeling sorry for those at the TEC end. On into Winchelsea for a great morning tea at the Cafe La Hoot. 

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-x5GDXsD-L

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-PKm6626-X2

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-5CP9x6j-L

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-dqCdckX-L

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-2vwVkqL-L

Through Winch and onto the Cressy Rd to Beeac, plenty of curves and corners, through Beeac then right on the Ondit-Warrion Rd for a stop to have a look at the flooded Colac quarry with its islands in the lake.

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-BtCdtvR-L

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-D2Hz7kc-XL

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-MPNVCw9-L

It was calm at the start, but the predicted wind had started by the time we rode further down the Ondit Rd, to the C147 Coragulac-Beeac Rd. Sharp right at Coragulac (always sounds like coagulate to me, but hey, it's a medical thing). Through Alvie, where "Alvin Purple" came to mind, past the Lake Corangamite Foreshore Reserve, around a corner near Red Rock where the fearless leader overshot a right turn. Only 100m on when the "chuck a woopsie" was solved by chucking a Uie, for the those few who needed to turn back. Down to highway A1 and on to Camperdown for lunch.

The wind blew us about a bit along that stretch. The Farmhouse@153 is a great venue, good food and service. A few decided to wander home from there.

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-LXcHM72-XL

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-jkLWPrn-XL

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-CZPXMzC-XL

We rode up the hill to the Lookout between Lakes Gnotuk and Bullen Merri. That takes you through the caravan park at the top and past the Botanic garden. Wind really howling up there but still bright and sunny and not really cold. Some noticed a small fire down the hill with CFA in attendance and when we tried to descend Sadlers Rd we were turned back because of it. So then down Park Rd instead, to the highway and left at Cross Forest Rd, left again at Nagohid Rd and into the rec area by Lake Bullen Merri, waves whipped up by the wind impressive there. 

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-GqqnsZx

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-wLLXhV5-L

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-bxFNJc4-XL

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-zKL63Qx-L

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-z5XdMJg-XL

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-C5NGPhk-XL

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-WvcFs8t-XL

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 I-xCBZgVN

Short stop to take in the panorama then on to Cobden, sharp left, then right onto Cobden Stonyford Rd and back to the A1 near Stoneyford and Pirron Yallock. The ride completed at the Colac West (very new) Roadhouse. A few wandered home via Forrest but most headed straight up the highway. I was last out onto the highway, but waved to everyone as I passed them. :slight_smile: including Mal just before the WP exit. A great ride, thanks to Sheryl, glorious weather spring blossoms and wattle made it even better. 
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Mark Nicoll and James Rousseaux like this post

Back to top Go down

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 Empty Re: Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023

Post by Stan Kluzek Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:38 am

What a great ride, Sheryl! I’m pretty familiar with the area, but you took us on some roads I don’t think I have ever ridden.

Stan Kluzek

James Rousseaux likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023 Empty Re: Mid Week Ride to Camperdown Wed 9 Aug 2023

Post by Stan Kluzek Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:38 am

What a great ride, Sheryl! I’m pretty familiar with the area, but you took us on some roads I don’t think I have ever ridden.

Stan Kluzek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down