Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024

Go down

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 Empty Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024

Post by James Rousseaux Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:47 am

We departed from the Corio Roadhouse at 9:30 am with ten bikes and Peter Hall driving his Mazda MX5.

The riders were Gentle, Mal, Marty, Mark, John G, Chris, Kerim, Ian, me, and Ray & Jen riding two up.

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-c6RqKV4-L

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-LN7H5zF-L

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-NCDLFP2-L  Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-qf8zktk-L

From Corio, we headed north towards Bacchus Marsh before we turned east to Rockbank where we picked up John D and continued through to Diggers Rest, eventually arriving at Bulla for smoko. The skies were overcast, which wasn’t a bad thing as it helped cut out the glare. Keeping the group together for this part of the ride was made extra challenging thanks to a large amount of roadworks and intersections. The corner marking worked perfectly thanks to our ride leader Ron and Tail End Charlie Kerim.

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-FMMnss5-L
Smoko at Bulla.

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-KMx8QPM-L

After a quick coffee, the group headed northeast to Kalkallo, then to Arthurs Creek, Watsons Creek, Yarra Glen, and then Healesville for lunch at the Beechworth Bakery Healesville.
Here is a map of the first part of day 1. [https://maps.app.goo.gl/NHyQrU2NXxb82s897]

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-4nG8mFd-L
Lunch at the Beechworth Bakery Healesville.

After lunch, the roads got really good as we hit the forest twisties of the Black Spur. We followed the Maroondah Hwy to Taggerty, through to Thorton and on to Eildon where Gentle took us on a small detour to ride over the dam wall at the Eildon Dam.
This was really cool to see the huge wall holding back the Goulburn River that provides the water for the Eildon Hydro Power Station.

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-QT6WXL2-L
A quick stop in Eildon

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-D6vnpFH-L

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-GjQ9QHm-L

Twin ST1300s!  Very Happy

From Eildon, we took the twisty Skyline Road to Alexandra. This was really enjoyable.
Then along Whanregarwen road to Molesworth and then to our destination, Yea.

Dave, Sue, Colleen, Amanda, and Pauline met us at the Motel where we all enjoyed some banter and refreshments before heading over to the Country Club Hotel for a great night full of good food and hilarious games of pool.
It was a lot of fun.

Here is a map of the last part of day 1. [https://maps.app.goo.gl/HvDj7kTkaMkCZc1r9]

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-8zPN8GF-L

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-P7DwpNw-L

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-MG6h5mr-L

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-RGmwxVW-L

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-n2sBj7w-L

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-FPTdhNc-L

Day 2
This was where the antics began. The weekend had been uneventful so far, but not for long.

It started out when Chris thought he had misplaced his wallet in the pub the night before and was stranded with no money, and the pub didn’t open until 10 am. Thankfully, Mal was able to spot him breakfast and a coffee. The situation brought about all sorts of jokes from previous rides where keys and other important things were misplaced by members and then discovered in dubious locations. It was looking like Chris may have to wait for the pub to open before he could attempt to retrieve his wallet but after a second search of his bag, he found his missing wallet and the crisis was averted.

You would think after Mal was so generous as to buy Chris breakfast that the karma fairies would have looked after him. However, you would be wrong.

All packed up and ready to go, Mal fired up his Harley and rode around the corner to the petrol station where the group was meeting up to refuel before we headed home. Everything was going fine for Mal until he tried to start his bike again after refuelling.

Unfortunately, his battery did not have the power to crank over the engine on his Harley. Thankfully, it was Gentle to the rescue with a portable jump starter in hand and he was able to resuscitate Mal’s Harley back to life.

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-rxBJs5P-L

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-MBFGn48-L

The Group ready to leave Yea.
Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-XndCCsm-L

Fully fuelled and caffeinated, the pack departed Yea towards Ghin Ghin then to Highlands and Seymour. The first part of the ride was as beautiful as it was eerie. Even at 9:30 am, the air was only 7 degrees, and the sun was struggling to cut through the cloudy sky. There was a heavy fog that covered the road most of the way to Seymour. As we were descending down the twisty mountain roads, it reminded me of something out of Sleepy Hollow. You could barely see two bikes in front of you. This didn’t stop us from enjoying the roads though.

From Seymour, the skies opened and the fog lifted. The day remained clear and sunny all the way home.
We were treated to spectacular weather all weekend. It was cool but most importantly, not wet!

From Seymour, we went to Pylong and on to Tooborac for smoko. 

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-wfkvQJK-XL
A group photo for the weekend.  Very Happy

After Smoko, it was South to Lancefield and Romsey, then West to Mount Macedon. The climb up the mountain to the lookout was very steep and twisty. Unfortunately, Ian had a minor tumble but thankfully he was okay and his bike was undamaged. We made it all the way up to the top of Mount Macedon to the lookout where we were treated to an exotic car gathering, which had a few million dollars worth of super sports cars rumbling through the car park. Then back down the twisty mountain roads into Gisborne for lunch at a bakery.

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-QTvZLjF-L

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-CtXk6bw-L

Overnight Ride to Yea 20th -21st April 2024 I-2Cg7jw4-L

After lunch, a few members said farewell and made their own way home, but the rest of the group made quick work of the long sweepers between Gisbourne, into Bacchus Marsh, Balliang, Anakie then finished at Bell Post Hill. Total for the weekend, 610 kms

Here is a map of day 2. [https://maps.app.goo.gl/rs2qdrav3cfutG8a8]

Thank you to Gentle for planning and coordinating such a fantastic ride.
The route he guided us on was a lot of fun to ride and had some absolutely spectacular scenery.
Thanks to all who attended for making it such a fun weekend for everyone.

See you at the next one.

Cheers, James  Very Happy
James Rousseaux
James Rousseaux

Jules Pearce and Ron Howell like this post

Back to top Go down