Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camperdown Ride Sunday 25 October 2020

Go down

Camperdown Ride Sunday 25 October 2020 Empty Camperdown Ride Sunday 25 October 2020

Post by Jules Pearce Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:21 am

Ride to Lake Edge Cafe - Lake Purrumbete

Ride report & pics by Peter Barclay

Camperdown Ride Sunday 25 October 2020 I-JhXzRCt-L

We all know the saying "The grass is greener on the --------"         Yes the grass is greener on the centre of the road.   Yep, the centre of the road. Down the middle. Between the wheel tracks. Ride down the left wheel track and there is grass under your right foot. We were so far out in the outback I was expecting to pass Ayers Rock. Let me explain. Let's "start at the start".
The start was a bit earlier than usual from Waurn Ponds "Maccas".  9.00 am. A grand total of 7 people turned up with a total of 6 bikes. It was one of those days where the weather could have turned to "Shite".

I guess a few looked out the back door and decided to keep the bike warm and dry in the shed. As it turned out, it was quite a comfortable riding day. Now 7 peoples and 6 bikes. The extra person in question, who will remain nameless, put her black Suzuki Bandit`s battery on charge the night before. It seems the battery charger is as big as a small car, and can pumper out enough grunt to run a decent weld. So, one cooked battery. No Black Bandits were going on a ride this day. So said nameless person arrived in her large SUV and was convinced to pillion with one of the bikes heading out. That being Gentles Suzuki and Robs Spyder. Both bikes did pillion duty this day. Now the terminology of the word "Arachnophobia" is the fear of spiders. Or should that read Spyders.  Not the 6 legged type but the three wheeled type. It seems that the person that will remain nameless, started to feel a bit seasick (or whatever you can suffer from on the back of a Spyder.) So a transplant on to the back of Gentles Suzuki happened part way  there. 

"Anyways" we head out from Waurn Ponds, out through Highton and Ceres, Gnarwarre, loop around and over the highway and down through Buckley and around the north side of Wurdiboluc Reservoir. Gentle has taken us this way a couple of times recently.  Passed Winchelsea  to the south, and headed into Birregurra for morning Smoko. Had me tossed, we came into Birregurra from an unusual direction and to this day I can't figure out which direction we entered the town from. 

Camperdown Ride Sunday 25 October 2020 I-7gSfzKJ-L

Camperdown Ride Sunday 25 October 2020 I-tPtbTM4-L

With a cup of coffee installed, we was off. Visited/passed  through Warncoort, passed by the Colac Airport, (no aircraft out. I guess they were in their aeroplane "sheds" staying warm and dry.) Headed away from Colac towards Beeac then up north around Lake Corangamite through Foxhow and onto some gravel roads, hense  the saying  "the grass is greener in the centre of the road" I have never, on a ride, have had to navigate a corner more than 90 degrees as many times as we did on this ride. (O for the grace of front wheel grip, don`t let me down now.) Through a place called Leslie Manor, crossed the highway in the Pomborneit area, attacked Koaliah and on to a little cafe on the shore of Lake Purrumbete.   

Camperdown Ride Sunday 25 October 2020 I-V8CzKTw-L

Now this small establishment is called the Lake Edge Cafe. And as the name suggests it is on the edge of Lake Purrumbete with lovely views over the lake.  To get there  you ride up a narrow bitumen road, turn through a farm gate up the drive to the cafe. We were only hours out of "Beer Bug" lockdown and this place was doing a roaring trade. And low and behold, on our arrival, our numbers have increased from 7 to 9. We were  greeted with two familiar faces, being editor Stan from Colac and Jimbo who had travelled up from Portland. He had been on the road longer than we had. 

Camperdown Ride Sunday 25 October 2020 I-VXQ9qVS-L

So with some munchies under our belt, (great food and quick service) we headed into Camperdown for some hydrocarbons for the bikes. Our esteemed ride leader was developing a few bike problems at this point (slipping chain on the sprockets)  The general opinion by all was to head for home straight down the highway to Geelong. As we did. 
I would like to note that riding on these gravel roads was not a problem. I am more uncomfortable riding on the roads under repair on the major highways. Road surface does not instill great confidence in tyre grip travelling slowly or increasing the speed up a bit. Maybe this is an issue for the road safety committee.

Many thanks to Gentle for leading and Rob on the "Arachnophobia" special for wagging the tail. Great to see George riding again. Missed ya mate. We had Mark and John along with us as well as myself and of course "she who will remain nameless."

Great day, great company, great food, and great roads to travel on.            

Camperdown Ride Sunday 25 October 2020 I-3Cd8Mfs-L
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Mark Nicoll likes this post

Back to top Go down