Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023

4 posters

Go down

Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023 Empty Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023

Post by Jules Pearce Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:04 pm

Ride Leader: Ron Howell

Ride Report & Pics: Peter 'The Lens' Barclay

Democratic Vote ---------- Piffle!!!! -------- I was set up!!! 

Well, as it was explained to me, it was possibly my own doing. You see our destination/munchie stop was Camperdown. The total distance there and back was 320k`s. All or most topped up with fuel at Camperdown, but me, "narr", "she`ll be right"  Well our return journey, in typical Ulysses style, was not the direct route to our planned destination at Moriac. We zig zagged our way towards home through the Western District with a stop at a lookout. Then I started looking more closely at the fuel gauge, thinking to myself, did I screw up here, am I in line for the Black Duck Award, am I gunna suffer the humiliation etc. etc.
Gentle suggested I peel off from the Cape Otway Road and head into Winch for a fuel refresh. Anyways, our esteemed ride leader chucked a lefty and we all motored into Winchelsea and I was able to save face at the local servo.  So he ended the ride at the famous Hoot cafe. "Hey Gentle", I said, did you finish the ride here for me to fill up? He replied "sure did and for that you can do the ride report. All in favour, say yea! There was nearly an unanimous yea with one nay! Obviously the nay was me, so here I`m am slaving over a hot keyboard. 

Well the ride! Well it was an 8.30 start. At 8.30 there was 5 of us and at 8.31 as we are starting to leave, there was 7 of us. We had the company of Joe and Donna. Both on their own bikes. It seems Joe and Donna have been stalking us on Facebook (Good work James) and decided to join us for some travelling fun. 

Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023 I-XHctW8q-L

Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023 I-tXvM8MZ-L

We headed out of Waurn Ponds on a well-travelled route through Highton, Ceres, all the way on Barrabool Rd over the big highway down to Cape Otway Rd then veered to the right/northish and headed into Winchelsea. Well we stop outside the shops. It wasn`t our smoko stop so I guess we were there to admire the view. (?!?!?) Our esteemed leader then announced, "riders mount up were off" OK whatever! So we head off up the Cressy Rd through Ombersley, when Gentle pulls up on the side of the road and waves Mark up and they have a bit of a natter. Next Gentle does a U`ie and heads back in the opposite direction and Mark continues as ride leader into Beeac for smoko. Mmmm`s me thinks, what`s going on here? Well all is explained when we arrive in Beeac. It seems our little stop in Winch was to meet up with more riders, but the meet up didn't coincide, and we left them behind. (Us Bad?) So next in rides Gentle with Ian who had bought his daughter, Vicki, along and Ian had his granddaughter along as pillion. So our numbers are up to 10. I had to keep updating the group photo. So all coffeed up, (is that a word?) off we goes.

Around the big lake, passing through Warrion (We`ve have been to the Warrion Ti Tree pub a couple of times on previous rides) Dreeite, Berrybank, Fowhow, Kariah, and then into Camperdown to the Bakery for lunch. Nope! Not gunna happen! The bakery never opens on Sunday! Bummer. There was a big outdoor market happening in the main street, and some stores were selling food. So we head off in different directions, (I hit a little cafe in the main street, "Coz" I needed to visit the little boys room).

Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023 I-XbrChCv-L

Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023 I-ZPM65Tr-L

Gather up folks it`s time to go. Started heading east again Pomborneit and Stonyford and the Stony Rises (Was told by a qualified science type dude once, if Australia was ever to have an Volcanic eruption it will more likely happen in the Stony Rises! "Fun Fact") Larpent and into/up to the Red Rock lookout. So we all get off and look down on the rest of the population.

Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023 I-QW8rbkh-XL

Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023 I-wkVDCbf-L

This is where I start looking at the fuel gauge. (Revisit the first chapter of this report.) Off we trundle yet again, over to Birregurra down the famous Cape Otway Rd. and a left turn to Winchelsea for a finish at the Hoot Cafe.

Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023 I-DMXWGjg-L

Great ride. Gentle did his usual great job in organizing. I went up a few roads that was new to me on this ride.

Vicki, Ian`s daughter was riding a little Yamaha 250 single and did a great job. She told me this was her forth ride out on the bike. I hope our new chums enjoyed the day. Thanks to Ken for wagging the Tail.           

Anyways, great ride, and great company.

Peter (The Lens)
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Ron Howell, Mark Nicoll, Phil Watters and James Rousseaux like this post

Back to top Go down

Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023 Empty Re: Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023

Post by Graham Aitken Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:26 pm

Great ride report Pete. 👌

Graham Aitken

Phil Watters likes this post

Back to top Go down

Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023 Empty Re: Count the Lakes Long Ride Sunday 3rd December 2023

Post by Stan Kluzek Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:31 pm

Coffeed  definition  -  To be be caffeinated up, indicative of dilated pupils and hyper behaviour

Fun ride report.

Stan Kluzek

Ron Howell and Phil Watters like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by James Rousseaux Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:30 am

Great photos and a very entertaining ride report Pete! Well done!
James Rousseaux
James Rousseaux

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down