Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mid week ride to the MotoCAP laboratory and Beeac 10th Jan2024

Go down

Mid week ride to the MotoCAP laboratory and Beeac 10th Jan2024 Empty Mid week ride to the MotoCAP laboratory and Beeac 10th Jan2024

Post by Jules Pearce Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:53 am

Ride leader: Sheryl Townsend

Ride report: Stan Kluzek

Pics: Jules Pearce & Stan Kluzek

Nearly all the riders gathered at Waurn Ponds Maccas.  Sheryl gave a ride breathing, Raff put his hand up for TEC, and we were on the move towards Deakin University for a talk at MotoCAP, the motorcycle clothing testing facility.  

Mid week ride to the MotoCAP laboratory and Beeac 10th Jan2024 I-TVsnzZd

A few other riders joined us at MotoCAP.  That brought us to a total of twenty-one riders!!

Professor Chris had our attention from the beginning.  He demonstrated the abrasive machine that they use for testing motorcycle fabric, and gave us some interesting information, on cost versus type of riding versus riding surfaces.  Which clothing suits what riding conditions.  The most expensive is not always the most practical.  I was surprised that proper denim motorcycle trousers seemed to be more practical than textile and leather.  Leather is a very reliable protective material, but it depends on how the leather has been treated (ie thinned and therefore weakened)

Then Chis demonstrated the impact on shoulders  pads.  The technology in design from manufacturers is changing because of the work that is coming out of MotoCAP.

The third machine tested the integrity of stitching in the clothing we wear.

The fourth machine, I understood, was about waterproofing and water  retention.  We ride in rain.  We sweat.  The way our riding gear repels water in the wet, or breathes when it is warm and dry is also useful to riders, when deciding on what to wear, when riding. 

So I would believe that everyone who left the building would have been thinking about their current riding clothing and being a little more discerning when purchasing their future riding gear.   Well done to Sheryl for organising this visit.

Check out MotoCAP’s website. https://www.motocap.com.au  It has some very useful information.

Mid week ride to the MotoCAP laboratory and Beeac 10th Jan2024 I-vL2v4rf-X2

Mid week ride to the MotoCAP laboratory and Beeac 10th Jan2024 I-8bSkbMz-L

Mid week ride to the MotoCAP laboratory and Beeac 10th Jan2024 I-L5vZ6tF-L

Mid week ride to the MotoCAP laboratory and Beeac 10th Jan2024 I-ZFCbdwB-XL

So Sheryl’s duties as ride leader continued towards Moriac.  On exiting Deakin University, Phil W earned himself a few points towards the Black Duck Award when he discovered that one of his panniers was open.  Fortunately nothing dropped out, and only a small amount of  embarrassment, as he was close to the back of all the riders, and most would have missed this faux pas.   

A nice meandering ride to Moriac, and a break for morning tea.   The staff at the Moriac Store did well with the influx of motorcycle riders.

Mid week ride to the MotoCAP laboratory and Beeac 10th Jan2024 I-Bpj5pQX

Mid week ride to the MotoCAP laboratory and Beeac 10th Jan2024 I-zB4rMNs

Mid week ride to the MotoCAP laboratory and Beeac 10th Jan2024 I-J4ZJRSg

Sheryl then organised us and got us back on our bikes, taking us along roads less travelled, across to Winchelsea then towards Eurack and on to Beeac, steering clear of the Princes Highway.  

Lunch at Beeac was a choice of the pub or the corner store.   Most opted for the pub, but thought the fireworks were put on for them.  No, it was a gas cylinder misbehaving behind the bar.

Mid week ride to the MotoCAP laboratory and Beeac 10th Jan2024 I-Vr7JQz8

After lunch, the most of the riders dispersed in an easterly direction, which I assume was the end of the Midweek Ride.  

Marlene invited a handful back to Colac for a cuppa and a port.   

Thanks, Sheryl for another very well organised ride.  I have attended two of the rides when Sheryl has been the ride leader, and she leaves nothing to chance.  We have been really fortunate having Sheryl as Ride Coordinator in the last 12 months.

Stan Kluzek 
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Phil Watters likes this post

Back to top Go down