Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Midweek Ride Wed 13th March 2024

Go down

Midweek Ride Wed 13th March 2024 Empty Midweek Ride Wed 13th March 2024

Post by Jules Pearce Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:06 pm

Ride Leader, Pics and Ride Report: Ron Howell

Following a message from Phil Harvey, reporting that he couldn’t lead the ride, I formulated a couple of optional routes for the day. 1st option was to go to Gellibrand for lunch via Turtons Track, 2nd option was to go to Lorne then Skenes Creek and have lunch in Forest, but following 2 weeks of warm to hot weather the gods sent us rain on the day of the ride.

At 9:25 am, I gave the 8 riders the choice of rides, but I suggested that options 1 & 2 both had very risky road conditions and offered option 3, that we travel local roads to Anglesea for smoko then back towards Bellarine Peninsula where we will have lunch somewhere.

We departed Maccas carpark all prepared for more rain but it didn’t happen, we travelled back roads around Freshwater Creek, Bellbrae, Paraparap and then into Anglesea via Forest Rd, we had smoko at the nicely renovated “Maids” on the river bank, after we stripped off our wet weather gear and packed it away.

After smoko, John G continued along the G.O.Rd to Skenes Creek and on to Forest for lunch, Michael B had to head home, the rest of us proceeded to Point Addis for a photo opportunity. Whilst there a couple of members brushed up on their French language with the young lady that offered to be our Photographer. (Sorry Peter the Lens but she took a better stance than you would have.)

Midweek Ride Wed 13th March 2024 I-SJ8mWVV-L

Midweek Ride Wed 13th March 2024 I-6ncRkHQ-L

Midweek Ride Wed 13th March 2024 I-MdtXDMV-XL

It was decided that we would have a light lunch at the Driving Range at Curlewis so we travelled around Torquay to Barwon Heads and then to Wallington when I decided to have lunch at the Leopold Sportsman’s Club. All was good until 500 meters from the venue the sky opened up on us again, bugger.

The lunch meals at the Club are great value and huge, therefore the 5 remaining riders had a relaxing lunch in good comfort.

All up a reasonable 128 km ride, thanks Kerim for volunteering to be Tail End Charley. Options 1 & 2 are in storage for another day.

Cheers,
Gentle.
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Mark Nicoll and Phil Watters like this post

Back to top Go down