Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wed 9th June Wet Weather Forecast Ride

2 posters

Go down

Wed 9th June Wet Weather Forecast Ride Empty Wed 9th June Wet Weather Forecast Ride

Post by Jules Pearce Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:29 pm

All pics and Report courtesy of Peter 'The Lens' Barclay. 

It’s the-      "June Mid Week Long Ride"
or
It’s the-    " Whose Dumb Enough to be Riding in this Weather Ride"
or
It’s the-    "Short June Long Ride"

Picture this, Waurn Ponds carpark, (our southern meet up/leave place), 9.25am (9.30 leave), five blokes standing under the Subway veranda, watching the rain giving our bikes a good soaking. S**t! bl**dy great! To be fair 1 inch of rain had been forecast for this day. 

The original plan was to motor down to the Cafe/Museum at Ferguson, just west of Lavers Hill. Problem, not open Mon. Tues. Wed. Also shut the weekend before our ride. I guess it`s because of this virusy thingy going around. I also noted that the Gellibrand shop/cafe was shut all weekend, and the Deans Marsh store/cafe where serving through the back window. No access to toilets. Was told there is a toilet block up the road at the footy ground.

They all seemed to be following Melb. lock down rules. Turtons Track was covered in rubbish(bark, leaves, etc.etc.), not good for bikes, and on Sat, Beach Forest, in the middle of the day was bl**dy cold. "Hmmmm" me thinks, a contingency plan is needed here. On the Tues. I rang the Anglesea General Store Cafe. Are you open tomorrow, and can we sit inside? Yes and Yes was there reply. This may be a better alternative.

Any ways! I will be the only one to turn up for the ride. So I will be eligible for the Black Duck Lone Ranger Badge. (A badge for the one and only rider to turn up for a ride) (I just made that up)!

Wed 9th June Wet Weather Forecast Ride I-hxDs3dx-L

Just after 9am, and I`m filling up at the Apco servo and in rides Graham followed by Greg. There goes my Lone Ranger badge.  I motor around to our parking spot and "Torquay" John is waiting for us. There`s 4 of us. We are all standing around telling each other how tough we are riding in this weather, when Phil rides in. Now there`s 5 of us. The general opinion was to keep it short and simple and not to stray too far from home. Anglesea is the go!  

Wed 9th June Wet Weather Forecast Ride I-ZPGb4bq-L

So off we head.   The weather had cleared by then and it was reasonably comfortable on the bike. Out through Waurn Ponds and over to Ceres and  along Barrabool road and left into Andersons road. (This is the third ride that I have used this road. Might have to find a new road. Maybe not!!!) Right onto the Highway and left down Considine's road, over Cape Otway road, down Church road then left and right into Forest road, down to the Anglesea road and motored into Anglesea.

Weather still behaving itself. Sat comfortably inside, had some caffeine and munchies, discussed the problems of the world and how we would solve them, and then, one by one we all headed for home. 

Wed 9th June Wet Weather Forecast Ride I-9JnCzF7-L

Wed 9th June Wet Weather Forecast Ride I-HrwSfw7-L

Wed 9th June Wet Weather Forecast Ride I-GK6P8gB-L

Wed 9th June Wet Weather Forecast Ride I-7SgHkFg-L

Thanks chaps for tuning up on a day that could have been particularly foul weather wise. 

Peter (The Lens)  B.  
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Phil Rousseaux, Mark Nicoll and Phil Watters like this post

Back to top Go down

Wed 9th June Wet Weather Forecast Ride Empty Re: Wed 9th June Wet Weather Forecast Ride

Post by Phil Watters Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:45 pm

"None but the brave". I'm the first to admit the weather forecast put me off. Looks like it should be sunny for the ride to Snake Gully on Sunday, if typical Ballarat chilly. First club ride since my busted shoulder back in January. See yez then.

Phil Watters

Back to top Go down