Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sun 2 June Shrine of Remembrance Ride

Go down

Sun 2 June Shrine of Remembrance Ride Empty Sun 2 June Shrine of Remembrance Ride

Post by Jules Pearce Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Words by Jules, Pics by Biggles, Peter B and Jules.

Only six riders and two softies in a car turned up for Gentle’s run to the Shrine of Remembrance. I can only wonder if it was the threat of torrential rain later in the morning, or the lure of a warm bed that kept the masses at home?

Ron led the group on a trouble-free run to the Shrine up the freeway and then via Todd Rd, Williamstown Rd and Dorcas St – the traffic was very light and we there in no time at all.

Sun 2 June Shrine of Remembrance Ride I-2HSQXr3-XL

After an obligatory group photo on the steps of the Shrine we headed in and stumped up the $29 each (Seniors) or $34 for the guided tour. The tour costs, but actual admission is free if you want to just wander about. Our tour guide imparted lots of info as we wandered through the place. 

Some of the key points were;

• The need for a Shrine was conceived to celebrate the service of those in the military and to assist with the grieving of families and the community after the huge loss of young lives in the 1914 – 18 war (WW1). 19,000 young Aussies lost their lives.
  • The Shrine design was selected by a competition among Australian artists and architects. The winning design was by two Melbourne returned-soldier architects. It is constructed from materials all sourced within Victoria.
  • The money to fund its construction came from donations – even during the poverty and austerity of the Great Depression.
  • Three hundred thousand people turned out for the opening of the Shrine in 1934 by Prince Henry, the son of King George IV. In those days they held a two minute silence during the service. Apparently the air was filled with the sound of women weeping (mothers of lost sons and wives of lost husbands).

Sun 2 June Shrine of Remembrance Ride I-VWWLvgF-XL

With subsequent wars, extra galleries were added to commemorate and celebrate our military forces. There are plenty of exhibitions of medals, uniforms, paintings, soldiers’ person items and artifacts - including one of only two genuine Gallipoli landing boats in Australia.

Sun 2 June Shrine of Remembrance Ride I-HSmtFfX-L

Sun 2 June Shrine of Remembrance Ride I-ZT3pXx2-L

Sun 2 June Shrine of Remembrance Ride I-rc9Vj7W-L

Sun 2 June Shrine of Remembrance Ride I-F79kscT-L

Sun 2 June Shrine of Remembrance Ride I-zwSKdGT-XL

The tour took a little over an hour and did seem just a tad rushed. Like others, I certainly plan to go back and have a better look at some of the specific galleries and exhibitions.

Amazingly, we walked out the Shrine into bright sunshine. A few of us had various other places to go to, so I hope that everyone got home before the late afternoon rains.

Thanks Gentle for a really interesting and well worthwhile morning.

Sun 2 June Shrine of Remembrance Ride I-kKv7hTQ-XL
A Ben Quilty painting of a damaged soldier at the Shrine.
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Back to top Go down