Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021

2 posters

Go down

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 Empty The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021

Post by Jules Pearce Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:16 pm

Words: Jules Pearce
Photos: Peter 'The Lens' Barclay

This was the first time that I've been involved with this event which is our major branch fundraising event for the year. I suppose if I'm honest I didn't see much of a role for me in it in the past as I'm not prepared to carry a pillion - due to being "vertically challenged" .... I always fear tumbling over at slow speeds if I have someone on the back. 

Gentle typically has to plead for member's help with this event. This year he found a job for me that didn't involve riding, as well as a couple of other 'none pillion carrying', but riding roles for Peter Hall and Marty Owen as the lead bikes that rode approx 200 metres ahead of the female and male lead competitors in the cycling leg of the event. Peter Barclay, Paul Taylor and Patt Cristina were also 'newbies'. 

And then there was the core of regulars who always put their hands up to help with such events - such as Ron Howell (Gentle), Mark Nicoll, Mal Stapleton, Mac MacBride, Phil Rousseaux, Rob Pow, Dennis Peterson, Dave Hatty, Phil Cumming, Ian Hunt, Graham Aitken, Nigel Lloyd and Peter Everett who have stepped up previously .... and in some cases, many many times. As has happened before, Gentle had to enlist the help of three fellas from the Westgate Wanderers - Greg, John and Jock, as he couldn't get enough of our Branch Members to volunteer (which means that they get some of the fee that the Branch gets paid). There are also numerous other of our Branch members who are also 'regular' volunteers to this event but just couldn't make it this year who should be acknowledged as well.

Well what was it like? My experience was that it was a great event to be involved in and I wished that I had volunteered previously, despite the 6.30am start time. There was great comradery amongst our team of riders and plenty of genuine appreciation for the service that we provided by the referees, photographers and bicycle repairers who get ferried around the course by our crew. 

The cycling leg requires each competitor to ride 90kms in total and the track runs from Ritchie Boulevard, through the Botanical Gardens, out to Point Henry where they turn around and then head out to Curlewis and back into Geelong to Ritchie Boulevard (twice). The organisers do an incredible job and the whole thing ran like clockwork with excellent communication throughout. Thanks also to Gentle who does an incredible job with the logistics of our role in the event.

I hope that these photos by Peter Barclay (and a couple of mine) convey a bit of a feel for what it's like and maybe you will be tempted to get involved next year. It's an amazing event to get up close to.

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 I-gbNmVhS-L

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 I-K78Vjp8-L

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 I-XXxWJPB-L

Below: Graham Aitken with a race judge aboard amidst outbound and inbound cyclists.

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 I-6nCnLkb-L

Below - Mark with one of the roving race Referees. These guys issue various time penalties to riders who draft others to get a tow - there's no peloton allowed in this event!

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 I-MFXPmPc-L

Below. Out on the circuit - Tall Paul with Jasper - one of the cycle mechanics.

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 I-DVxQwHq-L

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 I-6JppFpd-L

Below: Rob Pow with his mechanic passenger. The bike repairers were kept really busy with numerous punctures. The organisers directed the mechanics via radio comms to where the breakdown was and then one of our team pillioned the assigned repairer to the correct spot, often riding in amongst the competitors.

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 I-2kKVWRL-L

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 I-wGWQpsZ-L

Below: our "Command Centre" (the back of my car) where we had continuous radio contact with Race Control. In addition to the riders who had pillions who were race referees and were circulating on track throughout the event, from time to time the race Controller would request us to send a moto rider out to collect a photographer or ferry a bicycle mechanic to a specific spot on the circuit.

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 I-BTvSTxm-L

And the photographer always gets in a shot of his own bike! Thanks for the great pics Peter.

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 I-XW9Km5q-L

The Ironman website for next year's event is already live. See

https://www.ironman.com/im703-geelong
Jules Pearce
Jules Pearce

Mark Nicoll likes this post

Back to top Go down

The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 Empty Re: The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021

Post by Mark Nicoll Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:21 pm

I had a go at this last year, but only did a couple of short runs with photographers.
Having a Race Marshall on board this year was very different.
He issued several warnings for drafting and also issued some time penalties for a handful of riders - 
who weren't happy!
Very interesting riding alongside competitors while he talks to them.
I ended up doing three complete laps and having a great time.

I'll be there next year! The Ironman Triathlon and Ulysses Sunday 28 March 2021 1f44d
Mark Nicoll
Mark Nicoll

Back to top Go down