Geelong Ulysses Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ride to Lismore Pub, 21st July 2019

2 posters

Go down

Ride to Lismore Pub, 21st July 2019 Empty Ride to Lismore Pub, 21st July 2019

Post by Ron Howell Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Riding to a ride starting at Waurn Ponds from Drysdale is a new thing for me, and I only experience a very light shower on the way so hopefully this is a good omen.

At the 9:00 am start time we had 9 riders and plenty of blue sky to the north and west, but with the wind it felt about 10 degrees C. With our intrepid group being keen to get going, we departed Maccas and travelled to Moriac, Deans Marsh and then via Forest Rd into Colac for smoko at Reynold's IGA.

After a 20 minute break we said goodbye to Bob and the rest of us continued onwards, through the back streets of Colac and up to Irrewillipe Rd, then westwards to the Simpson Speedway Track. From here we travelled quiet county roads to Carpendeit, Stoneford, Koallah and on to Pomborneit, I don't know what it is with cattle and Harleys, all the BMs and Jap bikes got past the young bull with no worries, but Willie with his “Noise polluting tin can” must have upset it or Willie's orange vest just made it curious, as it decided to venture onto the road in front of him. But alls well that ends well and Willie and the animal didn't get physical. From Pomborneit it was back on to country roads and we travelled along the western side of Lake Corangamite to Leslie Manor and then north to Lismore for lunch, where we caught up with Jules and Marty.

The pub doesn't look much from the outside, but it is certainly larger than what it seemed, there are numerous dining and sitting rooms, the bar floor from the lounge gives you a weird feeling when you order your drinks, as it is about 300mm lower than the lounge floor. But that aside, the meals that we all had were great value and size, even Greg B's $10.00 hamburger and chips was huge, and those of us that had the Lunch Special, a Scotch Fillet Steak, chips or mash plus any choice of sauce for $16.00, Wow, one of the best steaks I have had from any pub for ages. And the meals were all cooked the way we asked and in a speedy time frame. I highly recommend going back. (I will be doing a warmer weather ride there next year) and even the Mid Week connoisseurs may be impressed.

Ride to Lismore Pub, 21st July 2019 I-k2ZWK2V-L

Ride to Lismore Pub, 21st July 2019 I-H8StshV-X2

Ride to Lismore Pub, 21st July 2019 I-JTLcWXG-X2

After lunch we allowed Garry F. to top up his old Beemer, and then it was homewards via Lower Darlington Rd, where we saw a very impressive old Bluestone mansion and I think Shearing Shed (not quite the right description), we rode along some great roads to arrive a couple of kilometres north of Beeac and then on to Eurack and to Winchelsea where I finished the ride due to my fuel light flashing. All up a very pleasant 300 k ride. Thanks goes to Willie for being Tail End Charley, and to those that joined me on the ride, thanks for the great company.

P.S. Thanks guys for NOT waiting for me, when you rode past the CLOSED BP servo on the outskirts of Winchelsea, you will not know if I should have received the EMPTY Award or not................

Cheers,
Gentle.
Ron Howell
Ron Howell

Back to top Go down

Ride to Lismore Pub, 21st July 2019 Empty Re: Ride to Lismore Pub, 21st July 2019

Post by Mark Nicoll Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:10 am

Well done Gentle and crew.
Looks like another excellent day out on some good roads, with a good value lunch to boot.
The weather was certainly kind yesterday.
Sorry I missed this one and I hope I'm back in action bloody soon!
Mark Nicoll
Mark Nicoll

Back to top Go down